Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPod Wiring into a 99

Default iPod Wiring into a 99

I want to add a AUX input so I can just plug the iPod directly into the stock (non-Bose) stereo. I have been searching the web for answers. I looked on the board and found a few writeups (mostly on the BOSE stereo). Those FM modulators suck because the quaility of the music is not clear.

Has anyone on here done this or have a better idea besides buying a new radio with an input jack? (trying to stay TCB) I am going on vacation for a week starting tomorrow, but I want to start this project when I get back.
    No more Miata

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

We have one of these. LINKIE You'll lose the digital quality, but it's the easiest solution for a retro-fit.

I have an awesome input jack from these folks, but it only works on '01+ double-din radios.

I'll cut you a sweet deal on an FM modulator, though. Or, I can probably be coerced into helping you build an input jack for your '99 factory radio.

Here's how
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

That is basically a FM modulator. My wife uses that same one in her car. It's not bad, but it's too bulky for the miata. And like you said..you lose the digital sound. I am wanting to hard-wire it into the stereo and have a plugin.
    Found some kits on http://www.installer.com but nothing that is specific to my radio.

Edit: I meant to quote sammm
    No more Miata

Quote Originally Posted by jolberry
    That is basically a FM modulator. My wife uses that same one in her car. It's not bad, but it's too bulky for the miata. And like you said..you lose the digital sound. I am wanting to hard-wire it into the stereo and have a plugin.
    Found some kits on http://www.installer.com but nothing that is specific to my radio.

Edit: I meant to quote sammm
    I know you meant to quote sammm, but I just gave you the link (and offered to help) with what you want... It would be persuasive if you would drop, say, $20 to rent my FM modulator for your trip
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    I can probably be coerced into helping you build an input jack for your '99 factory radio.
    I may have to coerce you when I get back from vacation.

I saw that write-up

If I only had a Bose
    No more Miata

I may have to coerce you when I get back from vacation.

I saw that write-up

If I only had a Bose
    Bose shouldn't be an issue. I've made this work in another '99, and I'm nearly 100% certain it wasn't Bose. If I remember correctly (not sure that I didn't already install it in someone else's car) I've got an adapter box built and ready to plug in.

It would be persuasive if you would drop, say, $20 to rent my FM modulator for your trip
    My wife has a modulator to use. and $20 I can use $20 for gas. Lots of driving this next week.
    No more Miata

My wife has a modulator to use. and $20 I can use $20 for gas. Lots of driving this next week.
    nuts

I've got an adapter box built and ready to plug in.
    Sweet!
    No more Miata

Default Update

Success!!! I now have a TCB iPod input jack for my Stock stereo. Thanks to TC for helping me out with a ready made box which I disected and made my own like the above link. I bought the Monex connector and jack for less than $3 at Altex in Carrollton and wired it up last night. The sound is very clear without any static like you get from those expensive FM modulators. I'll post a pic later.
    No more Miata

Congrats!

Nice! I just installed an Ipod adapter in the wifes car. Not so cheap, but it has an Ipod connector, charges the Ipod while it's in the car, and uses CD changer controls to control the Ipod.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Success!!! I now have a TCB iPod input jack for my Stock stereo.

I'll post a pic later.
    OK it's later, would you like to share with the rest of us Sparky!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    OK it's later, would you like to share with the rest of us Sparky!

Here ya go...Pretty much the same as this link, except no ipod holder. Next step is hard-wiring the power wire. For now I am happy I don't have to fumble through CDs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No more Miata

Anyone want to show me how I can do this to the factory stereo on the MPV?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    Anyone want to show me how I can do this to the factory stereo on the MPV?
    Auxmod is the easiest way
    http://www.sylfex.com/products/AuxMod/FAQ.shtml

Talking

I'll post a pic later.
    Is it later yet??

Come on and share kids, I'd like to add this capability to my Miatas!

The 4Runner I just got already has the plug and I have been surprised how much I use it!

He posted a pic... what else ya want?

You hook 3 wires (right, left & ground) to pins on the back of the head unit and to a stereo 1/8 jack (mounted as shown in his pic). You hook 2 more wires to pins in the back of the head unit, connect them to a 1k ohm resistor and a momentary switch and mount as shown in the pic or wherever you want. The button puts the head unit in "Cassette" mode. Just like down town.

He posted a pic... what else ya want?

You hook 3 wires (right, left & ground) to pins on the back of the head unit and to a stereo 1/8 jack (mounted as shown in his pic). You hook 2 more wires to pins in the back of the head unit, connect them to a 1k ohm resistor and a momentary switch and mount as shown in the pic or wherever you want. The button puts the head unit in "Cassette" mode. Just like down town.
    That's what I want the how-to instructions!

So those 3 wires would hook to the Cassette Output Connector — CNXXX
    Pin 1 R INPUT Input Audio input, right channel (.3 vrms).
    Pin 2 SIG GND Signal ground for audio inputs.
    Pin 3 L INPUT Input Audio input, left channel (.3 vrms).

What about the other 2 wires??

TIA!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast