Thread: Broken Differential Pieces and Pics...

Talking Broken Differential Pieces and Pics...

So I started tinkering and found myself elbow deep in getting the broken differential out. It wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought/remembered it to be... just rather time consuming - but even then not bad. I took some photos (below) and you can clearly see where the teeth came off of the pinion gear set...

Also, I've decided to go ahead and pick up a new set of MazdaSpeed diff bushings since I don't want to deal with whacking the old ones out. Titus found these for me at CorkSport.com ... not bad for $75 for the pair, although I do hope to find them locally for cheaper. I'll be calling shuhart @ TrackDogRacing.com and hope to score a set.

Perhaps next weekend I'll set up a nice tech day and have a replacement party with a cookout as well... keep your eyes peeled for that.

Okay so we know what happened but why did it fail? Lack of oil?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    Okay so we know what happened but why did it fail? Lack of oil?
    I believe there was plenty of oil in there... All of the foreign objects we found fit right up to the breaks, and there was no sign that the bearings or anything else was worn or broken to cause the failure. Bean seems to think it is due to the fact that he drives it like he stole it, but I don't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Bean seems to think it is due to the fact that he drives it like he stole it, but I don't buy it.
    I'd bet that played into the failure. The 1.6 rear end was not known to be the strongest unit ever made by Mazda.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    I'd bet that played into the failure. The 1.6 rear end was not known to be the strongest unit ever made by Mazda.
    I was going to make a comparison, but I am probably better of keeping my mouth shut and frequently knocking on wood.

I was going to make a comparison, but I am probably better of keeping my mouth shut and frequently knocking on wood.
    Aw come on it will be fun! What ya got??

The other thing that may have played into the failure is fact that nothing lasts forever. How many hard miles does the BUR have on it these days??

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Aw come on it will be fun! What ya got??

The other thing that may have played into the failure is fact that nothing lasts forever. How many hard miles does the BUR have on it these days??
    OK... granted the BUR has more miles then mine, and Bean does have a tendency to drive like an idiot. The thing is, I tend to drive like an idiot pretty often too, and I am pushing 50 or 60 more fp of torque through my rear without a problem. Now where is that wood to knock on?

One possibility is that the the open 1.6 diff is weaker than the VLSD 1.6 diff that I have, but I thought that the piece he broke was the same on both diffs.

Does Bean like to do burnouts? That's probably the hardest thing you can do to a diff. The initial shock of dumping the cluth at 4K and above will take it's toll much faster than 200K miles ofdriving, even if you are hard on the car. Sunny has lots of track miles, using 'R' tires, and no problems.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    Does Bean like to do burnouts? That's probably the hardest thing you can do to a diff. The initial shock of dumping the cluth at 4K and above will take it's toll much faster than 200K miles ofdriving, even if you are hard on the car. Sunny has lots of track miles, using 'R' tires, and no problems.
    I still say you should have bought a used Torsen to replace the old VLSD. 105k miles and over 400 sidestep launches on R compound tires, and mine still works just fine.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Never mind all the Coulda Shoulda Woulda...Tell us you got it fixed and the BUR is back on the street ready for more 6 grand launches.
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

OK... granted the BUR has more miles then mine, and Bean does have a tendency to drive like an idiot.
    That I cannot deny. I do tend to drive my BUR like an idiot... but that was the point behind my little Butt Ugly Racer.

I hope to have the BUR up and running soon... I'll be back in town later this week. I'll post up then!