Thread: AutoWeek - MX-5 vs. Solstice

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Default AutoWeek - MX-5 vs. Solstice

I'm afraid I have to agree with that article. My mother just got her Solstice in today and I am thrilled with it. Yeah the Miata has better build quality and better interior materials, but the doorcup holders are annoying, the ride was more harsh (and I test drove the base suspension), the taillights are hideous ricer looking jems and the front American-market-only turnmarkers are fugly glued on looking abominations.

Haven't pushed the Solstice too hard yet as it just hit 100 miles, but I am impressed with the overall feel of the car. The gear noise is a bit annoying to a gearhead like myself, but my mother probably doesn't know what it is. Something I failed to read in any of the articles is that the Solstice lacks any gauges, the power window switches are a bit too far back on the door making it a little difficult to reach, and the seats are not very easy to tilt after shutting the door, although they are extreamly comfortable with large side bolsters. Better than what I remember the Miata's seats were.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...