Thread: Satellite Radio

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Question Satellite Radio

Any subscribers on board? XM or Sirius? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger. I'd like to get something portable that I can use in the car, house or office.

Pay for radio? Someone check the TCB charter on that one!

It usually boils down to deciding where your favorite talk radio jocks are...
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

My dad has had XM for almost two years now and is really happy with it. He has the portable modulator that you can take with you. If I were to get satelite I would go with XM.
    No more Miata

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Pay for radio? Someone check the TCB charter on that one!...
    Ya gezz!

I can't see paying for radio! I get Sirius with my Dish500 it' s part of the package after having it for a year I don't see any need to get it for the cars.

We are buying my dad Sirius for Xmas, but he wants the newest fanciest tuner. I think I am going to be getting the portable Sportster in the next few weeks. Sirius does have a deal right now, if you pay $500 for service you get it for your lifetime.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Which one comes with free wine and cheese?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

They just added XM to the DirectTV audio channels and I'm finding a lot of good music on them. Might be worthwhile addon to my car stereo as well.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    Which one comes with free wine and cheese?

have Sirius myself... Well worth the money, as the radio stations suck arse down here...

I have the portable JVC tuner.. It's good, but there's a few things I'd change on teh software programming, but that's about it.

Definately worth it to me!
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

There's a great thread on this from back at the beginning of the year, including a great post by me...

http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthrea...ghlight=sirius

And now they're selling versions of the Roady (w/built in FM unit) for $29.95...

Chuck

XM is good, but I pick Sirius hands down! If you are into classical musik or any type of electronic musik (such as trance, techno, dance, disco, etc.) then Sirius is the choice for you. They have one all of the musik awards for their electronic musik stations.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

I have had XM radio since before Sirius was available in this market.(about 3 years).

I can't stand to listen to the music on regular radio in Dallas anymore. I really like it on long trips as well. If you have more than one reciever, ther is a family plan that tacks onto the existing plan for an extra $7. Either of the two providers offer free radio via the internet access.

I think that it is best to purchase an aftermarket radio that is satelite ready and get the tuner controls on radio.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active
    I think that it is best to purchase an aftermarket radio that is satelite ready and get the tuner controls on radio.
    Yep, I agree with that one. My head unit came XM ready, too bad it wasn't Sirius ready. A lot of new cars come satalite radio ready. Still the little modulator thing being attached to the dash isn't too bad; of course it's pretty small in a Navigator.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    Yep, I agree with that one. My head unit came XM ready, too bad it wasn't Sirius ready.
    Check with Cartoys or your other favorite radio shop as most of the earlier XM ready/Sirius Ready radios will still work with either service through a specially built tunner. If it is a Pioneer, Alpine or JVC I know there is a Sirius radio tunner for these three that will work with mst "XM ready" units.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Thanks for the info, my stereo is an Alpine so I may have to look into it. I do love the Sirius radio that comes with our Dish Network.