Thread: Best Miata Battery/Place to Buy

Default Best Miata Battery/Place to Buy

Ok, I'll admit it: I'm a lazy-ass and didn't do a search. I figured you guys would know and can tell me quickly:

What's the best battery for the Miata, and what's the best place for me to pick one up?

Chuck

I did a quick search for you Chuck....
    Looks like Autozone has one.... Majik got one there...
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

WESTCO....online....free shipping
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by ccage
    Ok, I'll admit it: I'm a lazy-ass and didn't do a search. I figured you guys would know and can tell me quickly:

What's the best battery for the Miata, and what's the best place for me to pick one up?

Chuck
    Miata Battery Summary:

Miatas come from Japan with a Panasonic AGM (Absorption Glass Mat) battery. It was chosen because it is noncorrosive and safer in an environment like the trunk.

At some point, Mazda stopped importing new Panasonic replacement batteries, so you will now end up with a standard wet cell if you go down to the dealership parts counter.

There is a company called WestCo that makes AGM replacement batteries for the Miata... They can be purchased through most Miata vendors as a WestCo battery, and also can be ordered from your local Autozone as the DURALAST-GOLD. I believe both versions runs around $80.

Batteries Plus in Hurst and Ft. Worth, I believe stocks the Westco batteries.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

Like Riverracer said, I have the autoZone battery. It is a Westco that has a different label. It is sealed AGM. The autozone I went to had one in stock. I believe you can check online too. Like Titus said it was right around $80.

I looked it up on the Autozone website and it says it's a special order item now!
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

Quote Originally Posted by riverracer
    I looked it up on the Autozone website and it says it's a special order item now!
    Some stores do stock it, maybe I need to limit my trips to Autozone........

No personal experience but some of the pointies seem to like the Optima Batteries.

http://www.remybattery.com/350/shopd...tima+Batteries

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by shuhart1
    Batteries Plus in Hurst and Ft. Worth, I believe stocks the Westco batteries.

Gary
    i second that, i hauled butt over there on my lunch break not too long ago just for the westcos they had in stock. no problems yet!

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    No personal experience but some of the pointies seem to like the Optima Batteries.

http://www.remybattery.com/350/shopd...tima+Batteries

arent those a little heavier? and bigger? (and no, i didnt click on it... tooo early for getting irked by pointies! )

Thanks for all the help guys. I looked online and the AutoZones in Frisco and The Colony each had one, so I made a trip and both Miatas are happy again.

At first I thought it was just the cold, but neither of them wanted to take/hold a charge. Incidentally, they both appeared to be the later standard Mazda batteries. The Duralast-Gold is an actual AGM, so all is good.

If you go to AutoZone for one of these, don't let them tell you it's special order. They see that in the text and don't bother to look that they have one (or more) on hand. They usually have one or two (unless one of us beat you to it this week). You can easliy spot them on the battery rack, too.

One other thing -- the Mazda battery's vents have a square-ish connector for the vent tubes. The Duralast has a round one. It looks like you could just cut off the existing square ends and it'd work fine, but I just took them off and replaced them with some plastic hose I had lying around that fits fine.

Anyway, thanks again.

Chuck

Glad it worked out ccage. Tis the season and all that for battery replacement. I know my 6-year-old battery is on its last legs too (it was 7°F one morning last week) so it's good to know where to get the proper replacement.