Thread: Car got Rear-ended, and pushed into the car in front.

Default Car got Rear-ended, and pushed into the car in front.

My wife was in an accident with the Miata on Tuesday. Someone rear-ended her, and pushed her into another car My wife is fine, only has a neck ache. Unfortunately, she wasn't thinking strait after the accident. The lady she was pushed into decided to not worry about it, so she left. My wife looked at the car, and also decided to leave, without getting the guy's info that hit her So, there is no chance of recovering anything from his insurance.

You can tell it's been hit, but the damage isn't too bad, as the Miata fared much better than I expected when I heard about the accident.

I'm not sure if I'm going to do any repairs or not, as the damage is minimal, and the car is nearing 15 years of age. I did have to take it to an exhaust shop, as my FM Duals took a hit. They tried to straiten the exhaust, it shows a little scarring. However the car has a lot of engine vibration, I'm thinking I've got a broken motor mount. So I guess I won't be racing this weekend

BTW, to pre-answer your questions: YES she is a blonde
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Default Re: Car got Rear-ended, and pushed into the car in front.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane

Don't be too hard on her... I'm sure she was just rattled by the accident, and just wanted to get home. Glad to read that she's OK and the Miata isn't too bad either.

Default Re: Car got Rear-ended, and pushed into the car in front.

However the car has a lot of engine vibration, I'm thinking I've got a broken motor mount. So I guess I won't be racing this weekend

Sorry to hear about the accident, Duane.

I was hit last year, and the impact (which was relatively minor) managed to break one of my motor mounts. This did cause some vibration, but the most noticeable symptom was the gearshift - since the broken mount was no longer securing the engine, it had tilted (along with the tranny), and the entire shift pattern had moved to the left, in reference to the center console. At first I thought I had frame damage (how'd my tranny shift around like that?), but it turned out to only be a mount.

Lastly, on the wife subject, my wife got hit in '02, and she neglected to get the other party's info. This resulted in a stern lecture by me on the basic responsibilities of anyone involved in an auto accident - do not move the vehicles (unless they are an imminent safety hazard), get every other involved parties' insurance and personal information (phone #, address, DL#, etc.), call the police and have an accident report filed (even if there are no injuries), and get contact information from any and all witnesses.

She has this all written down on a checklist in the car now, should it happen again.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Sorry to hear about the accident Duane. Hopefully the damage is very minimal!

I didn't give her a hard time at all. She was panic'd, on I-35 with cars zinging by at 70+mph. I don't blame her for wanting outta there.

Iain, how log did it take to replace the motor mount?
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Duane, I did mine in around an hour or so, it is difficult to get at the motor mounts, but luckily there arent many bolts. If you have a Mazdacomp membership, get a set of comp mounts. They are cheaper than OEM, and a little stiffer.

Sorry Duane - the bodyshop was the one doing the replacement, so I have no idea how long it took. Only took me about an hour and a half to replace all three on my wife's Camry, though, and I doubt they're much more involved on a north/south drivetrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Duane, I did mine in around an hour or so, it is difficult to get at the motor mounts, but luckily there arent many bolts. If you have a Mazdacomp membership, get a set of comp mounts. They are cheaper than OEM, and a little stiffer.
    And if you aren't a member of Mazdacomp yet, sign up at Mazda Motorsports. All you need to do is send them the results from two autocrosses. They don't have to be SCCA events - S2k or PCA events (or whatever) will work. The results just need to show your name, class, and the car you were driving.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I got curious so I looked up the P/N @ Mazda Motorsports.

NAY1-39-040 C MOUNT, ENGINE - COMPETITION 2 MIATA ALL 1990-2003 $21.70 ea. Notes: Engine mount is 40% stiffer rubber than stock. Uses two of same part number, one for each side.

NA01-39-040A S MOUNT, ENGINE - STOCK 2 MIATA 1.6, 1.8 1990-97 $35.70 ea. Notes: Stock rubber engine mount.

Let us know how we can help!

Sorry to hear about the car... glad your wife is OK though!

I'm not a member of Mazda Motor Sports, however I filled out the registration form.

I don't have any OFFICIAL results though to send them. Can I pull the results from the result pages of the autoX that I've run and send that? Also, It takes two weeks to get approved, and I don't want to wait.

It has to be a motor mount problem as nothing is rubbing.

How long does it take to get them? Is it by order only? Can someone order them for me?

Honestly, I called them and faxed the results from the SCCA webpage with my name stared. It took five minutes and my parts shipped the next day,

I'm not a member of Mazda Motor Sports, however I filled out the registration form.

I don't have any OFFICIAL results though to send them. Can I pull the results from the result pages of the autoX that I've run and send that? Also, It takes two weeks to get approved, and I don't want to wait.

It has to be a motor mount problem as nothing is rubbing.

How long does it take to get them? Is it by order only? Can someone order them for me?
    Yes, all you need to do is fax them copies of the event results that you've printed, or email them with links to the online event results (this is what I did). Generally it only takes a few days after they've got results for your account to be active.
    Iain

Chassis Designer

Default car hit

Maybe this is a little late , but no matter how small the accident get the info that is needed from all parties ,and try to get a witness or the police out .
    If you just leave and do not exchange info the other party can call the police and say you hit them and ran off . The burden of proof then falls on you to prove you didn't
    You can get stuck with damages , a fine, probabtion and have to file an at risk with the state
    Had a school teacher hit us in the rear she admitted fault then made a phone call by the time the police arrived she claimed I had backed up into her . Luckly the officer was on his toes and told her he did not buy that story and after a bit she came clean the phone call was to her dad also a teacher.
    If we had left well the above tells that
    Hope this helps
    One other thing is being hit at a red light in the intersection even if you have the green it can still be your fault another story