Thread: Switching to synthetic oil

Default Switching to synthetic oil

What is the general consensus on switching to synthetic oil on a new car?

I use high mileage blend dino oil in my high mileage Miata but I'm thinking of using Mobile One on the MPV. We want the van to last so I figure Mobile One at 5k and every 5k there after.

Thoughts?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I'm toying with a similar deal on my new toy.

From my digging about on the Internet there are at least 1000 different opinions on when you should switch from Dino to Synthetics.

On Toyota's they claim there is a "special" additive package in the oil that come in it from the factory. So it would appear that waiting until the first recommended change interval at 5,000 miles would be the time to move to Synthetic on a Toyota. I don't know if this is just a bunch of BS, but since it's on the Internet wouldn't it be safe to assume it's true?

On the VW, I waited until after the first oil change to switch out to Mobil1 full synth.

Thing is, though, on the VW, the oil change interval is every 10K miles.

Dunno about the Toyota's, but there have been several thousand threads around the Internet pointing at extended break-in symptoms (oil consumption, low compression) by 50-100% when the factory fill oil was dumped pre-maturely on the Euro marques. I would go with Toyota's recommendation and run the first full interval on the oil it came with.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

YES...

Wait until the first 5k oil change. If you don't get the rings seated properly you'll have all kinds of hell with oil consumption.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Would the same rules apply for a Mazda MPV??

I ran the CR-V to 5k on the factory fill, then switched over to Mobil1. Just passed 13k now, no oil consumption issues here.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Mobil 1 has not convinced me that it is worth the extra money.

Both my father and I had identical cars. 1995 Ford Thunderbirds.

He ran Mobil 1 since the break-in period.
    I ran plain old penzoil.

My engine went 140000 without ever smoking.
    His engine started smoking at 104000.

That said, I read the literature on Amsoil and think it would be a better synthetic. I have started using this in my Miata at 6000 miles.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active
    Mobil 1 has not convinced me that it is worth the extra money.
    This thread convinced me:

Interesting comparison. Here's Sammm's head at 70k on dino oil:

Here's my head at 89k on Mobil1:

I think I'll stick to using Mobil1.
    FWIW, we ship all of our rigs with synthetic fill... and between engine and compressors, our rigs hold somwhere on the order of 30-50 gallons of oil each. Even at those quantities, synthetic is cheap insurance.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Disclaimer - In regards to the golden glow...I bought my '99 with 70K miles on it. I have no idea how well (or not) it was maintained before I got it.

If you guys are interested I've been taking my miata to the mazda shop since I've had it because
    1) Don't have to do it myself. (I know I'm lazy)
    2) It only costs $28
    3) They use motorcraft full synthetic

I even used it in my 2002 GT mustang that was superchargered 3K after I got it brand new and when we took the heads off for the cams at 40k it still looked new.
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

After a new car is broken in, full-synthetic is the way to go. Too lazy to look up any sources atm, but from all the articles I've ever read and from many personal experiences and talking to race shops and from what most of the LeMans teams use, etc. I would go with Mobil 1 or something comparible like Royal Purple and Amsoil is pretty good I believe.

If I could find it, I saw a test done on all major oil brands (done by reputible source) and Penzoil was among the worst motor oils available in America. Royal Purple, Mobil 1 and Amsoil were at the top. Castrol is good dino oil but is still inferior against resisting breakdown compared to a full-synthetic like Mobil 1.

Just from my experience tracking the car, Mobil 1 is much better than Castrol or other dino oils. After an hour of track time on a hot day, my oil pressure was more consistent and the valvetrain clatter was quieter with Mobil 1. The few times I used dino oil (15w50) the oil pressure dropped a bit after the first 4 sessions when the Mobil 1 did not. just my
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    Just from my experience tracking the car...
    Yeah, the Family Truckster is gonna see lots of track time!

I'll likely switch to Mobil 1 (easy to find at wally world) at 5k and every 5k there after. Mazda filters or another brand ok?
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    Yeah, the Family Truckster is gonna see lots of track time!
    Hey, I saw one of the big wig Ranch members take his Porsche Cayenne out for a session!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    Hey, I saw one of the big wig Ranch members take his Porsche Cayenne out for a session!
    Three issues though....

1. There is a big difference between the handling in a Porsche Cayenne and a Mazda MPV.

2. The wife would kill me if I tracked the MPV.

3. Why track a minivan when I have perfectly capable Miata?
    ...and across the line.

Three issues though....

1. There is a big difference between the handling in a Porsche Cayenne and a Mazda MPV.

2. The wife would kill me if I tracked the MPV.

3. Why track a minivan when I have perfectly capable Miata?
    Mazda has ran MPVs at Thunderhill... They have shot commercials for most of their cars there.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Mazda has ran MPVs at Thunderhill... They have shot commercials for most of their cars there.

Hmmm....?

I would have thought Laguna Seca since they have their name on it.
    ...and across the line.

Hmmm....?

I would have thought Laguna Seca since they have their name on it.
    Nope... Mazda the commercials were done at Thunderhill. It is ideal because it is cheap to rent, off a major highway, has the cool hills, safe for helicopter fly overs, and then there is the weather.
    The track has also been the venue for many car commercials. The Mazda commercial featuring the SUV with five Miatas was filmed there. So if you watch very much TV you've probably seen the track.

Ford GT too.

As a professional driver navigates the hilly and winding, three-mile, 15-turn road racing course at Thunderhill Park in Willow, California, a voice asks the viewer three questions -- timed to the driver’s gear changes:
    1. “In what gear do you…realize that a car is everything it is supposed to be?”
    2. “In what gear do you know nothing can catch you?”
    3. “In what gear do you know it is the one?”
    4. “Introducing the Ford GT. This is the one.”