Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New addition to the stable

Default New addition to the stable

Well, as some of you know, I have been searching for a Metropolitan for my wife. She has loved them since she was a kid, and always dreamed of getting one and fixing it up. We finally found the right car and will be picking it up tomorrow.

It is a 1957, and it will be getting a hotrod treatment. My father-in-law has volunteered to keep the car in his shop and do much of the work. He has built several hotrods through the years, so we don't need to worry about getting in over our heads. I am pushing for a Miata drivetrain, but it doesn't seem to me going over well. I expect it will end up with a V8 when all is done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Who knows... We are picking it up in Kent, TX tomorrow, and it will be going straight to Dad's shop in Lavon. It runs, but isn't drivable. We are told that the clutch needs to be adjusted, but I suspect it may be more that that. A previous owner swapped out the column shifter for a 4 on the floor, opening it up to more than just simple clutch adjustment issues.

I suspect the car will go in a similar direction as this one.

Sweet Ride I always like the Metropolitan!

Where in the heck is Kent, TX??

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    About 120 miles east of El Paso.
    EEEEWWWW... That will be a fun drive! How did you find it? Ebay??

Cool! What's the size of that thing? Looks like it's not much bigger than a Miata. A V8 in that little thing is gonna be crazy! Looks like it's in good shape in the pics. I'd keep the original classic exterior look and just hotrod the motor and inside.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Congrats!

Can't wait to see it when it's all done.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    About 120 miles east of El Paso.
    Sorry.. that was supposed to be KEMP, TX.... about 70 miles SE of Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    How did you find it? Ebay??
    Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    Cool! What's the size of that thing? Looks like it's not much bigger than a Miata. A V8 in that little thing is gonna be crazy! Looks like it's in good shape in the pics. I'd keep the original classic exterior look and just hotrod the motor and inside.
    Smaller than a Miata... 85 inch wheelbase and an overall length of less than 150 inches. The NA Miata has an 89.2 inch wheelbase and an overall length of 155.4 inches.

We went to dinner with my father-in-law tonight and talked engines. While a V-8 has been done by several people in the Metro, it is tight and probably overkill for and 1800 pound car. My father in law suggested we try to find a Buick V6, as it can be had in aluminum and there is a good selection of go-fast parts available for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Sorry.. that was supposed to be KEMP, TX.... about 70 miles SE of Dallas.
    That sounds much better... it should make for a fun trip!

Nice find...My Uncle has a few hot rods so if there is any way I can help let me know.
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Smaller than a Miata... 85 inch wheelbase and an overall length of less than 150 inches. The NA Miata has an 89.2 inch wheelbase and an overall length of 155.4 inches.

We went to dinner with my father-in-law tonight and talked engines. While a V-8 has been done by several people in the Metro, it is tight and probably overkill for and 1800 pound car. My father in law suggested we try to find a Buick V6, as it can be had in aluminum and there is a good selection of go-fast parts available for it.
    Cool cool, If you decide to use a Buick V6 you ought to talk to my friend's uncle. He used to have 4 Grand Nationals, just sold one of them. He's been modifying and racing them for years.

Hope the project goes faster than my dads 71 Camaro...going on year 6 now I think!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Default We Got It!

We got it home! We were really shocked when we saw it, as it was in much better shape then the poor EBay pics showed. Why people don't wash a car or roll it out into the sun for pics is beyond me. 60 minutes of cleaning and a nice set of detailed pictures would be all it would take for us to re-sell it for an easy $1500 profit.

Even better... It drives. The lady posted that it was not movable due to a clutch issue, but I had no problem getting it on and off the trailer under its own power!

She had said that she "thought" the engine was from an MGB, but a quick picture search on the net proves her wrong. I need to do some more research as to the model, but stamps stating "stanpart" along with Intake and Exhaust on the passenger side of the block tells us it likely came out of a Triumph. It has a single weber carb and all the Triumph pics I found had dual carbs, so more searching is in order to be sure. The transmission seems to be a perfect match for it so I assume it is from a Triumph as well. It is going to need a whole new wiring harness as the current one has Lucas stamped on it.

Default nice car

would an rx7 engine fit in there?
    is this car gonna be strictly for the track
    or also for street use?

I went to the salvage yard today and found a
    car with the shape of an 86 datsun but way thinner
    body style, it had lines for the trunk but no way of
    opeining the trunk, no keyhole...
    and the engine is similar to what you got.
    I'll go again and take some pics...

this could also be a nice project car...
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Yea I know it's and old post, but how goes the restoration Titus??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast