Thread: Power window problem

Default Power window problem

Something is wrong with my driver's side window. The motor is fine and all I know that but when I try and roll it down it seems to get caught on something(could be wrong, don't know) and it stops rolling down at a certain point. Has anyone else had this happen, or better yet know how I could go about fixing it? I'm on a college budget so I'd really like to fix it myself But if required I will take it to a shop. Thanks.

Will it eventually go past it's stopping point or is it a dead stop?

Have you lubed the windows lately??

Some good stuff here -> http://www.miata.net/garage/miata_window_tlc.html

It comes to a dead stop. I will try lubing it up though and see what else I can do while I'm in there.

Ok well I went out and took some video. Lubin didn't help it, but it does go faster and I went ahead and did my other window lol. Here is the full-view of the window:
    http://www.supload.com/vid/MOV02167/278004824/mpg/

Here is a video from where the speaker normally rests(I think I see it cetting caught on the cable or something but I'm not sure as I am not familiar with the inner workings of power windows):
    http://www.supload.com/vid/MOV02168/104350457/mpg/

And a view from above:
    http://www.supload.com/vid/MOV02172/179854886/mpg/

Car is a '99 M2 if it makes any difference
    Last edited by Bolix; 12-31-2005 at 04:55 PM.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Did you take the panel off the door? Would a video from that angle be more enlightening?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    Did you take the panel off the door? Would a video from that angle be more enlightening?
    The door panel is off. If you think it's getting caught on something, how about comparing it to the passenger side to try and figure out what's gone wrong.

What part of the Metroplex do you live in Bolix?

Well right now I am back home in Houston for the holidays but other than that I am in Arlington at school(UTA). If memory serves me right its near 330 and Colins(SH75?).

Quote Originally Posted by Bolix
    Well right now I am back home in Houston for the holidays but other than that I am in Arlington at school(UTA). If memory serves me right its near 330 and Colins(SH75?).
    Houston, well that would be a PITA to bring over to look at then....... Sorry.

Have you pulled the door panel to see if you can tell what it's hanging up on??

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    The door panel is off. If you think it's getting caught on something, how about comparing it to the passenger side to try and figure out what's gone wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Have you pulled the door panel to see if you can tell what it's hanging up on??
    Thanks POS -- you make me feel like less of an idiot
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

This is a common problem, both on power and manual cranks. The cable drive comes from the lower front (where the crank would be), then follows upward and rearward. It is kept flush against the inside surface of the door by a couple of those plastic pop pins. If the upper one pops out, the cable will hang on the center window roller. It's easy to see if the door panel is off. Just pop that pin back in the hole and, PRESTO, window works!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    This is a common problem, both on power and manual cranks. The cable drive comes from the lower front (where the crank would be), then follows upward and rearward. It is kept flush against the inside surface of the door by a couple of those plastic pop pins. If the upper one pops out, the cable will hang on the center window roller. It's easy to see if the door panel is off. Just pop that pin back in the hole and, PRESTO, window works!
    Yep, that what I was thinking. The cables that drive the window MUST be secured to the door, especially where the Window Stop goes by the cables. The Window Stop is a big white wheel attached to the window, and it keeps the window from going too far. When you cable is not held against the side of the door the stop gets hung up on the cable. If you don't have any of those snaps, I found that a Locking Wire tie will do the trick.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Well I worked on my windows last weekend.

The drivers side was s-l-o-w. Took the door panel off, wiped out the old grease in the window metal channels, relubed them with white lithium grease and shot some silicon spray in the rubber window channel.

I also disassembled the power window switches and cleaned the carbon of the contacts for the fourth time since owning it.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Hopefully they work as good as these windows when you fix them.
    http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....E5CDB67765&p=0

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Hopefully they work as good as these windows when you fix them

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    That's insane!!
    ...just 'cause you don't HAVE any windows........
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    ...just 'cause you don't HAVE any windows........
    He has windows. I'm not sure why, but he has them!

Yeah I got it fixed, it was that stupid plastic pin that came out. Works like a charm now, and pretty speedy..... but not as fast as that video

Bingo!