Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The most important Miata meeting in the DFW area

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04
    Do I still need to own a Miata to join/vote?
    You need to consult with the folks at Lone Star Miata Club! Honda Boy!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04
    Do I still need to own a Miata to join/vote?
    I don't think so...................
    When the club started it wasn't a requirement.
    Around 1998-99, a certain member sold his Miata and was informed that he could no longer be a member. I don't recall that the rules ever changed, but he left in disgust
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Default playing devil's advocate, here

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    As for the luncheon, I feel guilty taking advantage of LSMC financial position, as they are funding a good portion of the luncheon. We, Shelley and I, are planning on a sort of "tailgate" party by bringing a picnic lunch. If you want to join in, as opposed to the insdie sit-down luncheon, you won't need to reply to Bill, and we can all join in the voting and meeting.
    Just my opinion, but a "splinter luncheon" outside the official luncheon seems like it could appear divisive.

Or did you mean it as a demonstration of how to have fun without being subsidized by club funds? If so, will the membership see it as such?
    Last edited by redmenace; 01-06-2006 at 04:58 PM. Reason: confusing attempt at clarification

I don't want to get in any arguments, and I know we all have our own feelings and priorities. I may have been a little strong with my words on "taking over LSMC", but the adenaline was pumping..... My goal is to bring ALL of the Miata cummunities together, and not take anything away from what MME, the Outlaws, or LSMC already have.

Merv
    Merv,

I hope what I said earlier in this thread wasn't interpreted as an attack on your idea. I applaud and encourage you to work towards uniting the disparate groups of Miata enthusiasts here in DFW. If anyone can bring the tribes together, it'll be you.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by redmenace
    Just my opinion, but a "splinter luncheon" outside the official luncheon seems like it could appear divisive.

Or did you mean it as a demonstration of how to have fun without being subsidized by club funds? If so, will the membership see it as such?

Actually, it was the $15 per person. If my "family" includes six, that's $90, but I do understand what you're saying. Bill suggested the same thing.
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

Chassis Designer

There are NOT presently provisions for proxy voting. May be a good idea, but a little late for this election....

You do not have to own a Miata to join. Club poicy has been that we seek out Miata owners for membership, but do not turn away others, except for Honda owners (just kidding).

In order to attend and vote, you will need to get your reservation in. If you have submitted your membership form, you also need to contact me at billccsi @ hotmail.com to get e registration package.

I know that this is last minute for you guys, but this meeting has been in the plans for months. Too late to make changes to accomodate you.

Any questions, see my email above, or call me at home, 888 536 5577, toll free, day or evening (before 11:00 please).
    Last edited by billccsi; 01-09-2006 at 11:24 AM.
    Bill Preston
    2007 CuRed PRHT
    Lowered, ram air, too much crap to list

Chassis Designer WhiteLightning's Avatar

I will be putting in my request for day off to drive up for the meeting tomorow. I will also be filling out the online membership form today and getting that taken care of. I hop all of this will work out the way Merv has planned.

Quote Originally Posted by billccsi
    In order to attend and vote, you will need to get your reservation in. If you have submitted your membership form, you also need to contact me at billccsi @ hotmail.com to get e registration package.
    If you shoot Bill an e-mail. You'll get the package right back. The return envelope is even "TCB approved" ....Postage paid
    See you there......
    Jerry
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

Quote Originally Posted by billccsi
    or call me at home, 888 536 5577, toll free, day or evening (before 11:00 please).
    Wierd. That's a transmission shop and they don't know you.

Questions I have are...

Can we sign up and vote on election day? If not, when do we have to have our apps in?

Are there additional costs for couple or family memberships?

What are your thoughts as acting President on Merv's ideas?

How do you think the current membership will respond to all the plans mentioned above?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Suspension Modder

[QUOTE=black roadster]Wierd. That's a transmission shop and they don't know you.

Questions I have are...

I was trying my darndest to stay out of this but since you asked:

Can we sign up and vote on election day? If not, when do we have to have our apps in?

Yes, if you pay the yearly dues and become a member.

Are there additional costs for couple or family memberships?

Yes and no:one membership is one person.

What are your thoughts as acting President on Merv's ideas?

Actually Bill is still President so he can answer that for himself.

I however will answer as the outgoing board member.

My thoughts are that other than not having meetings, nothing changes. LSMC is totally dependent on the membership for activities. There are no restrictions nor have there ever been regarding LSMC activities other than "open wheel" and "timed" events because of insurance and these can be done if a Rider (very expensive) on the insurance is obtained. If no one plans things then nothing is done. Should Merv be successful in bringing a bunch of new members that want to plan things then these will happen but they could have happened anyway.

How do you think the current membership will respond to all the plans mentioned above?

If they read Merv's original post they would possibly be offended but fortunately most are not into the internet. I think they would therefore respond to someone planning new events and participate in some of them. I don't think the meetings will be missed by most of the club members.

I hope this answers your questions.

Carl Long

yawn.. can't dfw just have kick ass roadster shows like the so. cal guys

I agree with the people saying that we already have everything that the proposed changes would bring about. Being a college student I don't really have alot of time and particularly funds to devote to a club with fees and whatnot, especially gas money driving out to places like where this meeting is held(while I don't have a problem going out to Mineral Wells for an autox lol). The only real changes I might like to see in the future is like deals with the S2K club or other auto-x bodies for discounts for MME members or something like that, or maybe even a magnet or sticker or something I could throw on for an event. We pretty much are responsible for our own tech days, drives, and things like that... thus the Events and Drives forum as well as the impromtu events forum. It is up to the members(read: us) to hold events and whatnot, just like someone had already mentioned, but only in reguard to LSMC.

Suspension Modder

Quote Originally Posted by JDMClassic
    yawn.. can't dfw just have kick ass roadster shows like the so. cal guys

Double yawn.. Because no one steps up and plans them.
    Charter member LSMC
    Former President LSMC
    Former Board Member LSMC

As usual, those that complain the loudest are the ones that want someone else to do the work.............

You don't have to agree with me. I never expected that. I just would like to see some harmony and give EVERYONE a chance to see other sides of the Miata culture, and maybe even try something new.

I'm all for trying something new. If I'm free on Saturday, I'll try to support ya Merv. I have no idea what LSMC used to be like, but if it's nothing like the present then it sounds interesting to me.

As usual, those that complain the loudest are the ones that want someone else to do the work..............
    very true.. i'm way more into spending my time working on my mazda. i have absolutely no desire to do any club planning..

i just think it would be cool for guys to get together and show off thier cars w/ out having to deal w/ political jargon like voting and paying dues to be a part of some club.

i guess it just sucks cuz we have no local vendor/shop that caters to miata owners in the dfw area whom would normally do this kinda thing for us. ie: RSpeed, CorkSport, FlyingMiata.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

i just think it would be cool for guys to get together w/ out having to deal w/ political jargon like voting and paying dues to be a part of some club.
    and so MME was born....

i guess it just sucks cuz we have no local vendor/shop that caters to miata owners in the dfw area whom would normally do this kinda thing for us. ie: RSpeed, CorkSport, FlyingMiata.
    We do have Track Dog Racing
    No more Miata

Quote Originally Posted by jolberry
    We do have Track Dog Racing
    True but TDR is a one man shop. Gary has no plans or desires to get any bigger than that and I know he has his plate full running his first business and now the TDR business.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Chassis Designer

Mea Culpa... no wonder my phone has been sop quiet. I transposed office number with my home number.

The HOME number is 888 539 5577. Yep... double checked.

Call me day or night (before 11:00pm please) I will be out most of Thursday, but voice-mail or GF mail will get the message to me.

My aplogies...

To participate on the 21st, I do need your reservations. Email me at billccsi @ hotmail.com, and I'll forward a package to you. I HAVE TO HAVE A HEAD COUNT TO ARRANGE THE PROPER SIZE ROOM.

ATTENTION PLEASE... I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT SOUTHFORK IS SERVING A BUFFET, AND THAT WE WILL BE CHARGED PER HEAD IN THE ROOM. I WILL CONFIRM THIS IN THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

Before the bitchfest starts, the CLUB made the decision to do this as an annual activity instead of our usual Christmas party. This decision was Made in OCTOBER. All of these plans were made before any of this was born.

I'm sorry that some of you are put out... just think...next year, you all get a say!

Seriously, I look forward to seeing all of you come on out.
    Bill Preston
    2007 CuRed PRHT
    Lowered, ram air, too much crap to list

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast