Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SCCA 6/20/2004 Autocross at TMS Road Course

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Breakfast Sunday morning? Any of you cone smackin' punks wanna hook-up? There's the famous Mickey D's inside the truck stop at exit 65 (south of TMS) off of 35W. 7am'ish. Who's in?

I could be up for that... I'm gonna change my tires the night before and just cruise over there on them, so I don't have to rus in teh morning

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    I'll probably be at the site by 6:30 so I can get tires changed before the rest of you punks show up... Next time!!!
    Not sure they open the gate to the track until 7:00AM. It can depend on the security guard that is on duty. They may have changed their ways since I have delt with them. :spiderma: That is a spiderman.

I'll probably find out what time they open things up tomorrow... If I don't replace the connector on my wiring harness, I'll have to wait until the sun comes up to leave the house anyway. Last event I noticed I didn't have running lights and discovered the important metal part in the connector was AWOL.

Any word on how many runs we will get with 225+ people attending???

I'll see you kids at McD's!

So who all is showing up at McD's?

7ish?
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    So who all is showing up at McD's?

7ish?
    Me,Sammm, & Onething I'm sure we will have a few more folks show up! I'm shooting for 7:00am! Now I'm going to the garage to put on my Race Tires now!

It's going to be a speed maintenance course tomorrow guys...

Pay attention on your course walk.

Hint: Pay attention to the camber changes in the last sweeper, particularly at the exit. This goes double for gslse who will get some extra boost right before the last left-right jink.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Any word on how many runs we will get with 225+ people attending???

I'll see you kids at McD's!
    Ive got $5 on 2-3

I'll Try and get my lazzzy but up that early.

Paul
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

How did you guys do? I was there about half an hour talking with POS and got a sunburn! Wow!

And thanks again onething for spotting that crap on my A-arm (talk about on the ball safety dude!)

We'll see ya at the next one!

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    How did you guys do? I was there about half an hour talking with POS and got a sunburn! Wow!
    The sun was fierce. No doubt there. I think we all got autox headaches.

Most importantly, POS took the E Stock win. The Old Bull hit more cones today than he's hit the rest of the year.

ataim fought a HUGE crowd to take 3rd in Novice class with his cool BBS wheels.... Hey, sammm... You should get some of those!

General D took the C Stock win, followed by Chris Williams up from Austin, lugnutjon, altiain, and me.

I suspect that Mark52 took the CSP win, since I believe his competition chickened out and ran some other class.

Sadly, I don't think rx7gslselsxlt managed to pull out BSP, and I believe I heard someone other than Robert Jones claim the first place trophy in DSP.

lost216 and offspring managed wins in STS2 an STS2L, respectively.

One or the other of Dan Pedroza and Vitek (not even gonna try to spit this one out) took first in SM2 (the other took second) followed by Clovis in third.

stantaur, after being rather bummed by a broken Z28, managed to put up a real fight in BS, but fell .3 seconds short of Tuan Nguyen (not to be confused with Tn). Speaking of Tn... Where were ya?

And thanks again onething for spotting that crap on my A-arm (talk about on the ball safety dude!)
    Been driving in the damn sewer????

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Don't forget onething took 2nd place in Street tire class, and I got 3rd. Congrats to POS! It was a long hot day and I thought he was gonna hurl in my car after his work assignment!

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Don't forget onething took 2nd place in Street tire class, and I got 3rd. Congrats to POS! It was a long hot day and I thought he was gonna hurl in my car after his work assignment!
    Very long hot day... how could I forget, though!!!! You guys lost to the one-armed man!!!! Or not...

So I hear someone hit the concrete or something trying to save a spin. Also a friend said she got home around 8:00 or so? Wow a long day.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

It was . . . er, ah, . . . interesting. I had more than one person say that AX on such a narrow surface really scared them. "I'm afraid to push it because there is no runoff before I get to rocks and grass and stuff."

We had some mishaps - mostly because of people who, as Andy Hollis put it, were suffering from "exhaust tone hypnosis", or in other words 'Oohh, my car sounds really cool when I push the long skinny pedal.' CRUNCH 'What happened?' One Toyota tried a Dukes of Hazard short cut that had the corner worker running in circles like a cockroach when someone flicks on the light in Majik's kitchen

It was an experience most will remember. It was hot, but at least there was some grassy spots that kept my shoes from melting - unlike the parking lots outside the oval.

I would have posted this last night, but when I returned home, my wife had a wonderful dinner waiting for me! Cornish Game Hens, fresh tomatoes, . . . well, I won't rub it in. MUAHAHAHA
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Man it was hot out yesterday!

The worker chiefs it there infinite wisdom decided my fate by having me work the heat before I ran. I ended up with corner five and ran my little fat ass off every time on of my fellow Miata pilots ran thought the course.

I swear Sammm gave me an evil look just before he hit a cone on one of his runs. Mike W. also spent the time to prove you could NOT go sideways thought the gates, even johnbaker made me run…

When the heat was over I was cooked & felt like I was going to hurl. Luckily I was able to scare a ride with Sammm back to my car. I ran into onething, but I don’t recall much of the conversation since I was delirious & nauseous! I plugged the POS at the end of grid, sucked down a couple of Gatorades and ran the A/C. I was able to recover where I wasn’t worried about soiling my helmet, and went on to race! And surprisingly I won ES!

PS. I would have posted this sooner but when I returned home, my wife had a wonderful dinner waiting for me! Pot Roast, with plenty of fresh veggies, . . . well, I won't rub it in. MUAHAHAHA

Man, that was a long, hot day. The guy who smacked the wall was supposedly trying to be a hero and kept his foot in it. The general consesnsus I got from experienced autoxers who witnessed it said he kept trying to save it and that's how he managed to go far enough off course to smack the wall. As for rocks and gravel and stuff - if you race your car, you're going to go off sooner or later. Might as well get it out of your system and stop being so freakin' worried about it. :P

I really enjoyed the course - I prefer them fast, flowing and a touch scary to 1st-gear turns in a postage stamp parking lot. I was a little disappointed that we only got three runs, but I'm glad Texas Region was willing to try to get us 4 each before the Camaro driver tried to play hero.

C Stock was tough. General Default pulled out the win over lugnutjon and Chris Williams with a smokin' 53.2-second run, which was as fast as the SS guys were moving! I was never any real threat to the top three with a best finish of 55.5, but had jon picked up a cone on his last run (as he thought) I would have snuck into third. As it was I settled for 4th, with tailchaser right behind me, followed by Greg Ward and Adrian Iley in Adrian's MR2 Spyder. Mike Watson finished right behind them, with John Baker uncharacteristically trailing the pack due to trouble with cones.

My pick for "Best Miata Performance of the Day" goes to POS for winning E Stock while on the verge of heat stroke. Mayeb he drives better when he's hallucinating? Runner-up for "Best Miata Performance of the Day" goes to Vitek for posting a 49.9-second run in Dan Pedroza's ubercharged SM2 Miata, which was faster than anything this side of Prepared and Mod cars.

I nominate tailchaser for the "Holly's Miata" trophy for his grace under fire yesterday... not! :P For those who weren't there, the stress of managing 250 hot, cranky, and clueless autocrossers took it's toll on tailchaser yesterday, who was overheard at one point on the PA system announcing "If you don't show up to work, leave and don't come back! Ever! We know who you are!" Seriously though, tailchaser & Company did a good job behind the scenes yesterday, and I appreciate all of their hard work. But that doesn't make tailchaser's short fuse yesterday any less funny. :P

Overall it was a good day, even with only three runs. Better yet, I can't wait to come back in October, when the weather is (hopefully) quite a bit cooler!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I nominate tailchaser for the "Holly's Miata" trophy for his grace under fire yesterday... not! :P
    I second the nomination! Hey was as angry as a chihuahua who lost his porkchop! Second in my voting would be the anonymous trained bear driving a cart! :P

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    cool BBS wheels.... Hey, sammm... You should get some of those!
    Bastard!

Does anyone recall if the “official" photographer for the event has a website??

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Does anyone recall if the “official" photographer for the event has a website??
    http://www.digitalracephotography.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast