Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SCCA 6/20/2004 Autocross at TMS Road Course

the "offical" photos aren't posted yet...

great day overall... I just had a few issues with those pesky cones! Still is good to be back on sticky tires though.. :)

All I have to say is.. I can't wiat until the october event back at the same location :)

Oh, and the Ferrari was cool :)
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Sounds like you guys had fun; nearly hurl'n losing tempers and baking in the sun ...

I'd a been there, but was elbow deep in motor mounts.

I'm thinking that I'm going to bring an umbrella to the next autox I attend, at the risk of being labled a panzy. I can't play this weekend, or the 4th, but after that, I'm ready to race again

TD
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Hummm... maybe I'm not reading the comments correctly... let's see:

- It was hot enough to give everyone varying cases of heat exhaustion.
    - Folks didn't get home until 8:00pm.
    - You only got 3 runs in.

And everyone loved it? Is there anyone who thought that it wasn't [really] worth it? Anyone who thought that Mineral Wells or the large parking lot at TMS (I know that is not available this year while they are resurfacing it) is as good or better than "the road course"?

Just curious. Sounds like a long day, and some amazing Miata results, and I still wish I could have been there...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Moderator moment....

Shade/hat discussion moved here -
    http://forums.dfwmiata.com/viewtopic...amp;highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel

I was home by 6:00 and I stayed for the awards, not sure where the 8:00 is coming from.

But you got the other two correct!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    I was home by 6:00 and I stayed for the awards, not sure where the 8:00 is coming from.
    Uhhh, from Majik's post just a couple up from mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    So I hear someone hit the concrete or something trying to save a spin. Also a friend said she got home around 8:00 or so? Wow a long day.
    So did you think it was worth it? Is running the Road Course something you would want to see more of? I'm just curious since I wasn't there...

Uhhh, from Majik's post just a couple up from mine.
    It's just a bunch of hearsay BS from Majik!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

So did you think it was worth it? Is running the Road Course something you would want to see more of?
    Yes & Yes. I was intimidated at first, but really enjoyed my last run! Wish I could have had at least 1 more.

And everyone loved it? Is there anyone who thought that it wasn't [really] worth it? Anyone who thought that Mineral Wells or the large parking lot at TMS (I know that is not available this year while they are resurfacing it) is as good or better than "the road course"?

Just curious. Sounds like a long day, and some amazing Miata results, and I still wish I could have been there...
    - If you worked in the moring (like I did in Tech), then you could hide out in the shade all day. The hottest I got was putting my car back on street tires during 4th heat, and after finishing that up and spending 15 minutes in the shade with some Gatorade I was fine again.
    - I was home before 7pm, even after picking up my lowly 4th place trophy.
    - If it weren't for some jackass in a Camaro kissing the wall, we would have gotten four runs each.

I loved it, it was a blast, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I've run some fast(er) courses at Mineral Wells and the "big lot" at TMS, but they just don't compare to the thrill of doing it on a ribbon of asphalt only 40 yards wide.

The surface is great (remember, this is a surface designed for racing - smooth, plenty of grip, no marbles, no gravel, no potholes, etc.). The course was fast and challenging, there was plenty of in-class competition, and the environment was completely unique. In my humble opinion, these elements combined to make it one of the more enjoyable autocrosses I've run, even with only three runs.

Come to think of it, the two most enjoyable autocrosses I've run this year were both put on by the eeeevil SCCA - Sunday at the Houston Tour (what a fun course), and this one at TMS (nothing like flying through offsets in 3rd gear with the tail wagging).

I'm already signed up for the next one in October. I encourage y'all to sign up already as well - 59 entrants so far, and Tom Ramey is making noises about a hard limit of 200 entrants for the next one!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Results Posted including the PAX

Congrats on your top ten pax finish, General!

Oh yeah, and I beat the Ferrari!!!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Does anyone recall if the “official" photographer for the event has a website??
    http://www.digitalracephotography.com
    Pics are up at DRP.

http://24.242.138.234/gallery/Warrior

Man they got some great pictures!

I like this one!

COOL

Geez, you pretty much have to buy that picture. Makes you look like a real racer . Seriously... that's a cool picture with the TEXAS on the tri-oval in the background.

mm.. sweeeeeeet....

Man, I want those, but yikes $35 for a print, and $25 for a digital file?? That's awfully spendy..
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    Man, I want those, but yikes $35 for a print, and $25 for a digital file?? That's awfully spendy..
    $35 for a print?

$25 for a digital file?

I hate to say it, but at those prices, I hope he goes out of business. Who does he think he is, Ansel Adams?

$5.00 for a digi file would make him a lot more money (in volume sales) than the four he'll sell at $25.00 each. Screw that. Heck, I'll bring my digital camera to the next event, and only charge ya'll $20.00 a digi file -- a 20% savings over my competitor

$25 for a digital image is cheap. It's a favor. Consider yourself lucky.

He had 3 assistants... Assuming he doesn't pay himself, that's probably $800 in labor COSTS alone for the day. Forget hauling out the trailer, running the generator, etc. He's gambling that he just MIGHT sell enough prints (or god forbid digital images) to recoup that. Trust me... He has no wild dreams of making money off the 250 of our closest friends that were out autocrossing. At least 50 of them would have to buy a print before he breaks even - Not real likely at a regional event.

If you like the photos, buy them. Support local businesses. It's good for the economy, and you'll sleep better at night. If you don't want to pay, take your own. I hav. POS has. We even shared. However, POS and I don't seem to have any really cool pictures of our own cars from that effort... Go figure!

TC makes some good points. DRP has been taking event photos for a number of years (I have one of the Prelude in the Carousel at Texas World Speedway and a shot of the RX-7 from the '01 Fort Worth National Tour that they've done). Sure, digital sounds cheap, until you think of all the overhead involved. The guy taking photos at the Houston Tour (Digital Race Cafe, or something like that) wanted more than DRP did.

Besides, we spend how much on tires every year? Twenty-five bucks for a cool memento you can frame and hang on your wall of trophies (of you have a wall of trophies :P ) is a pittance.
    Iain

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    However, POS and I don't seem to have any really cool pictures of our own cars from that effort... Go figure!
    Didn't lost216 have his camera out that day?

The poster child for "My car can't handle autocross"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast