Thread: Tired of your "fake" oil pressure gauge?

Default Tired of your "fake" oil pressure gauge?

If your Miata is a '95 or later, your oil pressure gauge is a glorified idiot light...

Ready to fix it?

This is the plan

The VDO gauge (360-003) and NPT-BSP adapter (1/8-27 to 1/8-2 should be available from Napa, possibly other auto stores, or they can be ordered online here:
    adapter

sender

If you're not solder inclined, I will assemble wiring adapters for $1 each.

Garage night at my house is Thursday night (but not 6/10/04 - HOOTERS!!!) in Plano near 15th and Independence. Bring beer. Installation time is probably 30 minutes tops for the sender, a bit longer for the needle adjustment.

Interested?

If we could change it to a Sat, other than this Sat. I am 100%. If we cant and need to make it a Thurs, it is around 50/50 whether I come or not. Come up with a solid date, and we can talk. Also, we need time to order the part. I dont know where a NAPA is around here.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Maybe I'm still not awake, but does this use the existing gauge? If not, where will you mount the new one? I have no A pillar pod
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Does this set-up also give you the idiot light, like shown here?

What the date for your garage day?

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    Maybe I'm still not awake, but does this use the existing gauge? If not, where will you mount the new one? I have no A pillar pod
    From the instructions that tailchaser linked, it appears that this mod uses the stock gauge.

Count me in, and Thursday nights work fine for me. I've been meaning to do this for the longest time anyway, so this will be a great incentive to get off my butt and do it.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

So how do you get the hood off the gauges? I have heard stories where this can be a Bizwatch!

Anybody got a service manual that shows the procedure for taking the hood off??

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    So how do you get the hood off the gauges? I have heard stories where this can be a Bizwatch!

Anybody got a service manual that shows the procedure for taking the hood off??
    I don't know how it's done in your "vintage" Miata, but on the newer ones it's easy - just undo a couple of screws and give it a tug, iirc. I've taken the whole instrument panel out a couple of times without problem (or a manual) - once to track down a rattle, and the other time to investigate the possibility of making my own aluminum-look gauge bezels.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I don't know how it's done in your "vintage" Miata,
    The POS already has a real Pressure gauge already "Sparky", I'm doing this on the '02.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    The POS already has a real Pressure gauge already "Sparky", I'm doing this on the '02.
    IIRC, I.M.Vivid has spoken to you about the use of the term "Sparky"
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

POS Racing wrote:

IIRC, I.M.Vivid has spoken to you about the use of the term "Sparky"
    Yes I have and I have a given POS a new pet name also. :o

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by IMVivid
    Yes I have and I have a given POS a new pet name also. :o
    Do tell!