Thread: Twin-Turbo Factory BMW 335i

Default Twin-Turbo Factory BMW 335i

Linkie.

BMW is not a company known for relying on forced induction to satiate the palate of its power hungry clientele, but rumors and heresay have been suggesting for a while that it’s been working on a turbocharged 3-Series model to slot in between the 330i and the next M3.

PistonHeads is reporting via AutoCar (the print version) that the model, to be called the 335i, is actually twin turbocharged and will develop an extra 72 bhp over the naturally aspirated 330i’s 3.0L six cylinder. That would peg the 335i's power meter at about 330 bhp, just 13 units of equinous energy shy of the last M3’s 3.2L six.

“The turbos will be fitted so that one works at lower engine speeds to boost low-end torque, while the other picks up higher up the rev rang,” says PistonHeads.

The next M3, for what BMW faithful are really biding their time, should feature a 4.0L V8 producing 400 hp when it finally arrives.

Very cool. Of course, it will probably cost as much as the outgoing M3, too...

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    The turbos will be fitted so that one works at lower engine speeds to boost low-end torque, while the other picks up higher up the rev rang,” says PistonHeads.

S.
    Wow, what a new and unique concept! I wonder why no one has thought about trying this before?

Oh wait, that's right - Mazda tried it thirteen years ago with the FD.

Turbocharged engines are inherently more complex than normally aspirated engines, due to the additional cooling requirements and piping arrangements for the intake and exhaust flow.

Sequential turbo systems are inherently even more complex than single turbo systems, because now you have twice the cooling requirements, and twice the piping. There is a reason that Mazda abandoned it and that no one else has ever done a production sequential turbo system. There are more than a few twin-turbo cars out there, but they all share "V-style" engine arrangments, with one turbo feeding each cylinder bank. This is not the same as a sequential turbo installation, as it requires a bit less plumbing and a lot less engine management.

I wish BMW good luck, but I shudder to think of the underhood complexity - and additional weight - of such a powerplant.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

and knowing taht its' a BMW, who wants to guess the maintence cost for THAT one!
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Wasn't the last generation Supra a sequential twin turbo?
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    A google search shows that it was.
    One of Japan’s all-time best supercars is the JZ80 Toyota Supra twin-turbo. Toyota held nothing back with the design of the 3.0 litre DOHC sequential twin-turbo 2JZ-GTE engine

Thanks Titus, that was definitely a more robust system than the nightmare of vacuum lines on the RX-7.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    +1 i thought the same.

its a great idea, but needs more developing before it is as reliable. maybe BMW will get it right.

bmw runs sequencial turbos on some of their diesel models sold in europe, im sure this car will be nothing short of amazing. excluding the fact that it will be fat, expensive, and full of useless gadgets!

Quote Originally Posted by graphik
    bmw runs sequencial turbos on some of their diesel models sold in europe, im sure this car will be nothing short of amazing. excluding the fact that it will be fat, expensive, and full of useless gadgets!
    I LOVE I-DRIVE!!!! I tried to use I-drive at a dealership, while sitting at a desk and looking at a computer screen. It's horribly confusing and I can't imagine using it on the road without getting in a wreck.

Some of their gadgets are completely pointless like you said, and every generation has become more porky and cushy. We need more simple, great to drive bimmers like the E30 M3.

I'd love to see some of their diesel offerings over here. Very nice cars.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

all of the car mags also complain about i-drive. they spend what?- a week with the car. im sure that after youve had the car for a while the system would be much easier to use and very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RX7-2nr
    all of the car mags also complain about i-drive. they spend what?- a week with the car. im sure that after youve had the car for a while the system would be much easier to use and very helpful.

Nope. I dealt with I-Drive for over a year on a 745Li and I hated it. The steering wheel controls/voice controls were FAR more usefull. My buddy who worked at a BMW dealership had to give 45minute-hour tutorials on the I-Drive system when they delivered a car for a client. Good lord!

And I think the sequential turbo system should be alright.... as long as it doesn't have to do with any electrical systems the Germans should be able to get it right