2 11.11%
  • String Cheese

4 22.22%
  • U-Verse

3 16.67%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you get your TV Signal??

Quote Originally Posted by riverracer
    Yes Dave but I am watching live TV and recording 2....
    You watch to much TV. You should get out more often.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    You watch to much TV. You should get out more often.
    Listen to you ....I get out more than you do.....
    I don't watch that much TV. I just replied to the thread...
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

Quote Originally Posted by riverracer
    Yes Dave but I am watching live TV and recording 2....
    You obviously have WAY to much free time... quit watching so much TV and go outside and play!
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Chassis Designer

Over the years, I've had Direct, Dish, various cables, and other associated sources.

Where I live now, dish or direct wasn't a good option, (southern access was limited), so I have Charter, with HD & DVR. DVR can record two different programs, provides PIP, and will record 80 hours total. It will also copy from DVR to tape or DVD, (on my equipment).

It has been great. No signal loss in a good rain, reasonably good service, and the rate for cable with everything, plus broadband, plus full digital on 4 TV's , plus analog on 3 more, is way less than what I last paid for Dish and separate DSL. BTW, if you want analog hookups, they are free, (no box needed).

When I first moved here, I had cable plus VOOM, (all HD small dish). Although VOOM broadcast in HD, much of the programming wasn't in HD. The rest wasn't really worth watching.

Charter currently provides 13 HD channels. Networks, ESPN, Discovery, and 4 movie channels. We find that covers most of what we watch.

Best bet, talk with your neighbors...
    Bill Preston
    2007 CuRed PRHT
    Lowered, ram air, too much crap to list

Dish Network with DVR. I like their menus and directories better than Direct TV.
    2007 Sport - Stormy Blue Mica - No mods yet

About a year ago I switched from Dish to direct TV. The reason was, when I moved, Dish sent out some nasty guy who didn't speak English to reinstall me at my new house. I have done my share of data and voice cabling and I am picky about having things nice and neat. I called Direct TV and got their new customer deal with free install and equipment. They sent a uniformed installer in a company truck who did a good job.

Service wise, it is pretty much the same thing to me.

I have a Yagi antennae on a 30 foot tall mast. I get good reception.

My parrents have had a HDTV NTSC tunner for the past two years and love it. It gives you more channels to watch and local weather. much more is it is TCB approoved. FREE!!!

If they wanted to watch some of the cable channels, they could signup for USDtv for $19.95 per month.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Default back from the dead!

I'm about done with DishNetwork. My bill keeps climbing and new customers bills keep dropping (maybe I'm on to something there!). I was just on the phone with them for about an hour ( ) trying to negotiate with them. What a clown act they are. I'm about ready to send all their sh*t back to them, but am not sure what I'd replace it with. I know AT&T is working on U-Verse in my area, but it's not ready yet. Is Charter Cable as bad as I've always heard?

FiOS FTW, BTW.
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

+1 for FIOS
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    I'm about done with DishNetwork. My bill keeps climbing and new customers bills keep dropping (maybe I'm on to something there!). I was just on the phone with them for about an hour ( ) trying to negotiate with them. What a clown act they are. I'm about ready to send all their sh*t back to them, but am not sure what I'd replace it with. I know AT&T is working on U-Verse in my area, but it's not ready yet. Is Charter Cable as bad as I've always heard?
    Yep, charter is pretty bad. Our bill with internet was pretty rediculous. I spent a similar amount of time on the phone trying to negotiate a better price about a month ago and finally decided to go back to basic b/c I wasn't getting anywhere.

My wife called last night and talked to somebody different and got our full service cable bill dropped by $50! Without having to fight for it. Go figure, I guess it just matters which operator you talk to and if they are having a good day.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Charter is crap. They increase rates more than Dish does. I just recently killed the dish to get Verizon FIOS. When I cancelled Dish they offered me 30 days free to stay. I said thanks, but no thanks. Fios was already installed. Dish sends you a box or two and you have to return their stuff, even though i had been with them for 5 years. You have to remove the "eye" part of your dish but you get to keep the plastic dish part. Whoopee!
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    Yep, charter is pretty bad. Our bill with internet was pretty rediculous. I spent a similar amount of time on the phone trying to negotiate a better price about a month ago and finally decided to go back to basic b/c I wasn't getting anywhere.

My wife called last night and talked to somebody different and got our full service cable bill dropped by $50! Without having to fight for it. Go figure, I guess it just matters which operator you talk to and if they are having a good day.
    From what I here, most of the cell and cable companies have separate departments dedicated to bringing back customers that have left. These departments always open with an offer a good deal lower then the best deal the regular customer service reps are authorized to give you. The only way you can get the deal is to leave. I actually went through this with Direct TV several years ago. I demanded the same deal new customers got, telling them to give me the deal or cancel my account.
    They said no deal so I canceled the account. One month later, they called and offered me the deal I had asked for. I said it would also take $50 in PPV credits and they said DONE. I still didn't go back.

The jury is still out on the AT&T U-Verse for us, we have been having some simple problems lately like no picture...

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post
    +1 for FIOS
    +2 for FIOS. We've had that ever since we moved ot Murphy last summer and love it.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I was gonna vote, but someone "apparently" has already voted for me....... Thank you(hope you voted DISH, 'cause that's what I have)!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    I was gonna vote, but someone "apparently" has already voted for me....... Thank you(hope you voted DISH, 'cause that's what I have)!
    You probably Voted last year...
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    +2 for FIOS. We've had that ever since we moved ot Murphy last summer and love it.
    No FIOS in my hood yet, or I'd be checking it out.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    pssttt...this thread is from Jan. 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane View Post
    You probably Voted last year...
    You are correct sir!
    Cable2K MiatabillccsiBolixcone-cernedgraphikjuxt3rMiatamotoriverracerRX7-2nrsammm
    Rabbit Ears on the Curtis MathisAtaimjolberryRadio-ActiveTurboDuane DirecTVBellccagechannelmaniacDave04gabkwongHudsonHawkjoe.MIATAMathews2004Screamin'ScrewtailchaserTreibenschnellWhiteLightning
    Dish NetworkbigDstarsblack roadsterblackzx3_13don10aeicepenguin66MadMervonethingsmartmx5Titus

Go read over on avsforums they have input on all of the dish people. I liked when I had charter. The bill was pretty high, but it worked. I would keep the SBC DSL I have now though. You will loose some of your HD options going from a dish, but I hear that most cable companies have better picture quality on HD since the dish guys compress the picture so much to get more channels on the same bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post
    +1 for FIOS
    + eleventy billion for FIOS.

$120 a month for phone, internet, cable tv, and flat-rate long distance = lots of savings over DirecTV, long distance, phone, and DSL... not to mention movies on demand with pause/rewind/ff capabilities and MUCH faster internet.

We were nicked & dimed... actually dollared every 6 months like clockwork by Direct... It was a total joke and the customer service folks were like dealing with a bunch of a$$clowns. Hell, it was $54 a month for Direct without even having HBO/Cinemax/Starz/etc.

We had enough. Verizon called us one day out of the blue about FIOS TV beta testing and we signed up. Love the service. It works well during thunderstorms and their customer service has been great.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast