Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back from the SCCA National Tour in Ft. Meyers

Default Back from the SCCA National Tour in Ft. Myers

So I'm back from the SCCA National Tour in Ft. Myers and it was great. This was my first National Tour event. I was driving a WRX STI in STU. It was a beautiful weekend in the low 80s with a blue ski and no clouds.

There were some amazing cars and drivers out there and I think I learned a lot just from watching everybody.

I ended up in 6th place out of 12 drivers in STU. Time to fire up the excuse generator, so here I go:
    - The car was underprepared for STU
    - stock springs and shocks
    - no camber plates
    - heavier wheels than stock
    - Kumho MXs while everyone else was on RT615s
    - stock down pipe
    - only mods were a muffler and sway bars
    - First time driving a STI or even a AWD car

The car was very impressive for a stock car. You can throw it into anything, as hard as you want and the AWD will sort things out. I really enjoyed driving the car.

Both courses were very fun with a long slaloms (7-8 cones) and a lot of high speed transitions (3rd gear in the STI). I wish there were more course like these out here, we've got the room for it. The surface at Ft. Myers is concrete so the cars stuck like glue. Tons of fun!

I felt pretty good about my driving for the weekend. Except for the first run on Sat. all my cone penalties were done by the back wheels, so I was getting close to making clean runs. My fastest raw times would have put me in 2nd place, but I guess my inexperience with the car showed through.

Here are the results for the weekend: http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/Fil...s-Saturday.pdf

BTW, the Fuji-racing.com CSP Miata was an absolute rocket. There has been a lot arguing about exhaust sizing and IRTBs on the pointy board lately, but Jimmy's (4-throttle-tuning on miata.net) tuning has spoken for itself. The was impressive to watch, especially with Bob Palmblad (former owner of the white SM2 Kenne Belle Miata) behind the wheel.

Sorry, I didn't take my cameras with me or I would have some pics to post.
    Last edited by Miatamoto; 02-20-2006 at 09:56 AM.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Glad you had fun!

I heard elsewhere that all of the results from Sunday - in every class - are being protested on the basis course speeds being too fast (rulebook states mid 60's for typical Stock and SP cars, with average speeds in turns no more than 45mph). What's your take on that?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Like I said, I was in 3rd gear through most of those transitions and slaloms on Sunday, so I was definitely over 60 MPH. It was very fast and by the course making guidelines I think the protest has some merit.

However, I wouldn't like to see a precedent made with this protest. The course was well thought out and flowed beautifully, it was just fast. I thought it was extremely safe and there were very few spins. Just my 2 cents.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Congrats Thomas! You picked a great weekend to get out of town.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Congrats Thomas! You picked a great weekend to get out of town.
    No doubt... my wife was originally going to come with me but backed out. She was cursing me every time I talked to her on the phone this weekend.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Good stuff 'moto. Yep, you picked a great weekend to be anywhere but here.
    i need a better phrase...

Holy crap - the protest has been upheld by the event protest committee. As of right now all of Sunday's runs have been thrown out.

The protest ruling is being appealed. I'd really hate to see this protest upheld. I understand the rationale behind it, but slow courses suck. No two ways about it.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Holy crap - the protest has been upheld by the event protest committee. As of right now all of Sunday's runs have been thrown out.

The protest ruling is being appealed. I'd really hate to see this protest upheld. I understand the rationale behind it, but slow courses suck. No two ways about it.
    You've got to be kidding me!

That will probably knock me down a place or two. That sucks!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Where's my Great Carsoni hat when I need it...

/me opens the envelope...

"I see a giant split about to happen in SCCA Solo II"
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Where's my Great Carsoni hat when I need it...

Carnac the Magnificent

My first National Tour and this is the crap I have to deal with!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

So here is a video of Sunday's course (the one being protested) from a VW R32 with coilovers and V710s. Wish I would have taken my camera with me.

http://media.putfile.com/SCCA-Nat-Tour-Ft-Myers
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Wow that does look like it was a fast course! I need to figure out a good way to make a camera mount since my camera doesn't have a hole for a tripod(Sony DSC-T1)

We actually have faster courses out here in TX, but we have less slaloms and transitions. It's these fast slaloms and transitions that made the course so much fun.

I hope we get some more technical courses this year (of course, I'm referring to courses run out at Mineral Wells, not Pennington).
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Unless I am wrong, I only see going to 3rd once. Im not a VW guru but I dont think for that 1 second of third that above mid 60's can be reached. I know the arguement is that above 45 in "corners" but he appears to be upper to mid 2nd for most of the course which I can only assume would be in the proper range.

I can hear A J Foyt screaming in the back of my skull... "I say fuck the nitshit rules... Let them drive as fast as they want. Just take the wings off and then let them figure out how to get through the corners."

A small chunk of video is probably not enough to pass judgment, but that looks to be a fantastic, safe course. The rules as stated are "recommendations" and *may* be basis for a safety committee to require course modifications (but let's hope not), but it's absolutely absurd to have results thrown out because a course was "too fast."
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

That looked like a damn fine course to me.

On an unrelated note, does anyone else have a newfound appreciation for the R32 (and that sweet exhaust note) after watching the video?
    Iain

Looked fun to me. I wonder why someone would protest the course speed. I would think most drivers would like a quicker course.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13
    Looked fun to me. I wonder why someone would protest the course speed. I would think most drivers would like a quicker course.
    Apparently Mini drivers are a buncha skirt-wearin' .
    Iain

There's a lot going on with the protest. I think there is around 18 pages worth on sccaforums.com. It's not a cut and dry case of somebody wimping out about the course.

BTW, it's a Celica driver that filed the protest, not a mini driver.

Altiain, R32s sound sweet. It must be the narrow angle V6. Check out the regular VR6 on the magnaflow website. They all sound good.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast