Thread: Steering wheel install problem

Default Steering wheel install problem

What the heck?! I thought I'd try the install keeping the clockspring in on this car and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I got a 3.3k ohm 1/4 watt resistor to put in place of the airbag, as said on miata.net, and the airbag light is still flashing and my horn doesnt work either!

The green/red striped wire is the horn and the red and grey wires are for the airbag right? I don't think I mixed them up, but even still I tried every combination with them and still no solution.

On my project car I removed the clockspring and the airbag light didn't work anyways since the car was "totaled."
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    I got a 3.3k ohm 1/4 watt resistor
    I believe it is supposed to be a 3ohm ¼w resistor. A 3.3k (3300) ohm resistor sounds too far off to work.

Titus is right about the 3.3 ohm not kohm.

Make sure that the other contact on the horn button is properly grounded.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Well, that may explain the airbag light but why the heck can I not get the horn to work?! this is pissing me off, I didn't have any problems installing the wheel on the other car
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    Well, that may explain the airbag light but why the heck can I not get the horn to work?! this is pissing me off, I didn't have any problems installing the wheel on the other car
    Where did you ground the other contact that isn't connected to the green wire?

When I first installed the Bride wheel on my car one of the contacts swiveled around and grounded out on the other and blew the horn fuse.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I just checked the fuses and all are good. I grounded the other wire to the hub and then to the steering shaft. I also went under the dash and tried the little black wire that is wraped up next to the airbag connectors cause I believe that's what I used on the other car since I removed the clockspring on that car.

Could the horn button be broken? Sounds like you've got everything sorted out. The hub is definitely a good place to ground out the button.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Well, guess this explains why my horn buttons have flaked out a few times. After testing all the wires, I figured out that the wire between the car harness and the airbag is broken somewhere. Damn clockspring! Now to just get the correct resistors in the morning.
    Thanks for the input guys.

Hey pengo... I gotta spare clockspring I yanked from the spec...

Want me to throw it in the car tomorrow? You can swing by Jupiter & 190 and pick it up...

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Hey pengo... I gotta spare clockspring I yanked from the spec...

Want me to throw it in the car tomorrow? You can swing by Jupiter & 190 and pick it up...

RJ
    I should still have a good clockspring from my other car and I'll wire that up later. If not I'll remember to hit you up. Right now I just have a nice long wire wrapped around the hub several times to avoid ripping it when I turn the wheel!