Thread: transmission rebuild?

Default transmission rebuild?

At this rate I'm going to have a brand new car by spring.

I've had a problem with 3rd gear grinding slightly during redline shifts for awhile. I've been thinking about having the synchros replaces while the motor is out (best time to do it, right?). Unfortunately, John Day doesn't do transmission work.

Someone mentioned a cheap refurb price for Miata transmissions on this board once in the past, but I can't find the link. Any suggestions on a good transmission shop?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Damn altiain, our cars must be separated at birth! I need a tranny rebuild pretty soon too. On top of the Mazda SSP #11 thing that needs to be done, the shifter is feeling notchy and my 5th gear grinds. Hopefully it'll hold up till end of next month since the motor rebuild is gonna drain all my extra $$$.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Revisiting this issue as I have a transmission that needs a 3rd gear. I see that some folks have suggestion Cookson.

I know I can get a junkyard one but don't want to go that route. This one was just rebuilt at great expense for my spec and lasted about 3 races. Any suggestions on someone local and reasonably priced would be appreciated.