Thread: After Market Speakers

Question After Market Speakers

Hi all. It's been a long time since I've been to the site. There's just not enough time in the day.
    Anyway, I have been looking at purchasing a set of 6 1/2 pioneer speakers for PAWS ('03 Shinsen Version). I think these speakers will look great with the interior as they are blue. The problem I am having is that I am told my car has 6x9's not 6 1/2's. If I want to install 6 1/2's, I am told I will have to cut the screen out of the door panel and find a way to mount the speakers because there are no premounts for 6 1/2's. I have no problem with cutting the screens out, because I really think these speakers will look great.
    My question for everyone is: has anyone ever attempted this and is it possible to do ?

Thanks,
    Virginia
    My Paws

You should pop the door panel off & check the size of the opening with a tape measure...

I was thinking my 03 had 8"s in the doors... they are bigger than the 6 1/2's that both my 92s had.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Yeah the opening in the door is huge. Take a look at what you have and think about building some brackets. I dont think you will need to touch the door panel. Unless these speakers stick out extremely far.

Crutchfield may actually sell mounting brackets. Their hardware is usually top notch and custom fit to your vehicle. Not generic crap.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    I dont think you will need to touch the door panel. Unless these speakers stick out extremely far.
    It is not that the speakers will stick out, it is that I like the look of them and think they will enhance the look of the interior. Otherwise, I would just get what ever it calls for.

Thanks for the comments. I will check into building brackets.

Virginia
    My Paws

I see what you are saying, personally I think it would be very hard to get a clean look by cutting a hole in the door. If you want to see them, maybe look at having some custom kick panels made. I really doubt they make them off the shelf for a miata since there is already limited foot space.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Go to Crutchfield.com and use the 'What Fits My Vehicle' section. It will tell you what size speakers fit where. I bought some Pioneer 5x7 speakers that fit the OEM mounting 'brackets' on my '99 perfectly. No cutting necessary.

Boston's man gotta go with the Boston Acoustics! Probably the best speaker for the $$$ IMO, unless ya wanna break the bank and buy the top of the line. I've had 2 sets in different cars and love the quality of sound. Just my
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...