Thread: Madarash at the Nationals?

Default Madarash at the Nationals?

From the results of today's runs, it appears Mark M. is in 26th place in ESP and driving a MUSTANG! Anybody know what happened?
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

And I thought our very own General Default was going to co-drive Mark's ESP car? What Gives???

Funny - I had just come to this board to post the very same thing. I don't see the General anywhere in the standings - I wonder what happened?

Side note - there are four AWD cars currently in the trophies in ESP (even though none are threatening the top spot). I'll bet that's giving the pony car boys a serious conniption fit.

Side note #2 - our very own Todd Milstead is currently halfway up the trophy spots in STX, sitting in 7th place!

Side note #3 - even The Alien (Daddio) can't seem to make the SRT-4 a contender - he's currently sitting in 5th spot in D Stock, almost a second off the pace!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Bad week at Nationals part 1.

During the first runs at the Sunday practics Mark came back to grid. I told him I heard a ticking sound. We packed up and went back to the pits to investigate.

After pulling the valve covers we found a lifter a little loose so it was adjusted and put back together. Fired it up and we still had a ticking sound. We, (he), took it back apart and the intake value next to the one we just adjusted was now ticking. It was not a loose lifter this time.

So it was decided to remove the lifter and see why the valve seemed to be half sticking. Normally you can just pull out a lifter with your fingers. This one would not come out. So after pliers, then vise grips, then vise grips and hammers would not extract the lifter, all the great mechanics at Nationals were baffled what was going on. It is a roller lifter. Garcia came over and they welded a long bolt to the lifter and used a body dent puller to try to extract the lifter. SOL. 5 pound hammer was used next to pund out the lifter using the body puller rig. And the Answer is....

The roller on the lifter was a 1/2 moon. The roller had been pounded and the base of the lifter pounded outward also thus it was next to impossible to remove. After looking down at the cam it was clear that a new lifter would not help as the cam was destroyed also. They tried to remove the lifter next the one that was extracted. Same problem. They hammered on that one so long they finally gave up on removing that one.

So this is a pro built motor. Made by a major well know builder in Dallas. Somthing major was done wrong. The engine does not even have 2 hours on it.

Since the lifters are hydrolic (sp) it was taking up the gap of the warn parts. They finally could not compensate for the 1/4 inch of missing metal.

In good solo spirt many people have offered rides for Mark and me. We both turned down BM rides. Mark decided to try the ESP offer since it was similar to what he was use to. I decided to go with the Miata due to the course designs.

The engine builder has already offered to replace the motor but that does not help much as nationals only happens once a year.

Thanks for the update!!!! It's nice having an insider at Nationals!!! Especially one with a computer!!!

We look forward to more of your inside scoop. Sorry to hear about Mark's mechanical failure, though... It sure is fun watching that car go fast when it's going.

Thanks for the inside scoop, General, and best of luck in CS

Sorry to hear about the problems, General. So whose car are you co-driving now?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Thanks for the update General and sorry to hear about the car trouble. Good Luck and keep us posted!