Thread: Need a recomendation for a electrician/welder/handyman

Default Need a recomendation for a electrician/welder/handyman

I need someone to repair the electric meter mast that is attached to the side of my house. It was damaged (by a certian electric provider that refuses to take blame) and its a bigger job than I want to handle. I'm pretty sure the electric line will have to be detached and a new stablizer bar will have to be welded and bolted to the side of the house. Some cracked brick might also have to be repaired. I just don't have any clue who to call to get a quote. Any help on who to call would be great.
    '99 FMII + everything (sold!)
    '97 FMII (previously)

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I always thought it was up to the electric provider to get it to the house/meter safely. Is it TXU?

Apparently, it's the homeowners responsibility to maintain the meter and the meter mast - which is reasonable. However, when TXU is replacing the power line in the alley which the line from my house attaches to and the next day my meter is snapped because "someone" pulled on it with superhuman force, that's kind of a problem. It becomes an even bigger problem when you have to submit your claim via some customer support person that doesn't live in this country. Then you receive a letter in which your claim was denied without ever being speaking to the claim rep. Then when you try to talk to the claim rep and he doesn't return your calls for 3 weeks, and still denies blame, it's kind of a problem. There's been a lot more to it than that.. but kind of sums it up.
    '97 FMII (previously)

You have my sympathy. Sounds like a mess.

C

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

It does sound like a mess. Call Customer Service. If you get someone you can't understand (or you don't want to talk to) just tell them I can't understand you, please transfer me to someone who speaks English as a first language (or words to that effect). You should eventually get to speak to someone in this country. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    It does sound like a mess.
    I've been through it all. After over a month's worth of un-returned phone calls and dealing with cust service reps, people at city hall, and manager's managers, it seems to just be the way TXU does business. Filled a complaint with the Public Utilities Comission too. At this point I don't expect TXU to pay for the damage and am in the process of changing my provider to someone besides TXU and am getting ALL friends and relatives to do the same. Delivery of the service will still have to be done through them though
    '97 FMII (previously)

Geez... You may want to take pictures of the damage and write down everything to your best recollection and let them know you are seeking legal recourse. That's what I had to do when I hit a downed power line years ago after a bad storm.

They tried to weasel out of it but I had pics of the tree limbs all in the power lines the night before and pics the next morning of when they cleared all the tree limbs out. Once I started talking about having pictures/video tape and getting a lawyer they got off their rear end and paid for the damage.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Yea, so anyone know of a reputable handyman?
    '97 FMII (previously)

I don't know a reputable handyman....

We just had to get a meter replaced here at work and TXU had to come out and kill the power to the meter. Wouldn't be that bad of a do it yourself job as long as the power was off!

You asked your insurance guy? I'd think they would know of a reputable handyman, and I's also think you could claim the repair on your homeowners policy.

Yea, already talked to Insurance and he didn't really know of anyone. I'm hoping it won't be more than my deductible, or at least I don't think it should.
    '97 FMII (previously)