Thread: What do you guys know about this tire?

Default What do you guys know about this tire?

Falken Azenis RT-615

I am shopping for some new tires.

Thanks.
    99 Miata Black

For pure autocross fun and performance, I don't think you can go wrong with the RT-615.

However... Miatamoto and I seem to agree that the Hankook R-S2 is an outstanding tire for driving on the street, and it does great at autocross, too. Currently, pricing on the Falken seems to be better, and that's certainly something to consider as well.

Majik does well with the Kumho MX... Hopefully he'll chime in on his opinion of that one for street use.

OTOH... keep your eyes out for any holdover Falken RT-215, as that one is superior to its successor (IMHO) for autocross or street, although they tend to overheat during extended autocross outings.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I know I just ordered a set last night.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Great info thanks TC.

Where is the best price on the tires mentioned?
    99 Miata Black

Like TC said, the Hankook is a great double duty tire, but I don't really have any experience with the RT-615. The Hankook should be about $3/each less than the Falkens.

OTH, I ran a set of used Kumho MXs at the national tour in the STI and my raw times were right on par with people running fresh RT615s and even shaved RT615s. The tires did a great job and loved the heat.

I really enjoyed the RT-215s that I had on my 14" wheels, but they did have heat problems.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I have a set of 615s in my garage... they will be going on as soon as I finish of my 215s at the Stook Auto-X.

When shopping, be sure to consider the tax and shipping games. Some online tire dealers offer free shipping, some offer no tax.

Some quick lookups of 205/50/15 show:
    Onlinetires.com: $82 each, $53.12 shipping, no tax... $381.12 total.
    DiscountTireDirect.com: $86 each, no shipping, $28.38 tax, $372.38 total.
    Vulcantire.com: $78 each, $58 shipping, no tax. $370.00 total.

I got the RS2's on all my Miatas!

They are a great all around tire, the ones on the '02 have done multiple autocrosses and 2 trips to MSR. They have also taken a sub supersonic trip to Houston and back and have preformed flawlessly!

They are also Team CB certified the 15's I lust got around the end of December for the '99 were under $350.00 mounted and balanced.

Kewl thanks guys for the info.
    Now anyone wanna buy some gently used ES100's?.....LOL
    99 Miata Black

I did like the Khumo MX I had last year. It was a good sticky tire, that performed well and had good tread life. I changed to the kook for this season, so well see how it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    Kewl thanks guys for the info.
    Now anyone wanna buy some gently used ES100's?.....LOL
    Just my Billy, but I'd keep those ES100's as "training wheels" for now. Trust me, they'll get used up as you try more and more autocrosses. When you've burned through that set, you'll also have better, smoother driving skills that will let you appreciate good tires even more.

I'm not sure I'm even ready for my new RT-215's as yesterday I was having trouble recognizing when my mistakes.

I have decided to order the Azenis tomorrow.
    I may still try and wear out these hard a** ES's, before I mount them.
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    I have decided to order the Azenis tomorrow.
    I may still try and wear out these hard a** ES's, before I mount them.
    I'm with Darron on this one. Go ahead and order the Azenis but just keep them bagged up in the garage ready to go when you wear out the ES100s. There is plenty to be learned on the Yokos.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub