Thread: It's Alignment Time

Default It's Alignment Time

If this info is in another thread sorry, I couldn't find it. I'm looking for a good alignment. I'm just north of the loop in Fort Worth, but do not at all mind driving for quality work. I've gotten some alignment numbers off of Miata.net, but will accept any information or links.
    I won't be racing, but I like to drive quick!
    My old 99' My new 99'
    Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

I still swear by Peterson's in Ft. Worth, especially if you want something other than the stock alignment specs. Jim, the alignment guy, is great. (Although the guys in the office are grumpy SOBs).
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Some folks get the Firestone lifetime deal at a location that will let you specify your own specs. The one in central Arlington on 303 let me do that FWIW. Talk to the store manager, not the guy behind the counter.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Some folks get the Firestone lifetime deal at a location that will let you specify your own specs. The one in central Arlington on 303 let me do that FWIW. Talk to the store manager, not the guy behind the counter.
    They let me do that also. They gave me the alignment I wanted, but were arguing with me the whole time (OK, just the guy that actually did the alignment).
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Sounds like Peterson's in Ft. Worth, I don't mind grumpy, but I don't like to like to be told I don't want what I want. Now I sound grumpy.
    My old 99' My new 99'
    Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Quote Originally Posted by Mark52
    I still swear by Peterson's in Ft. Worth, especially if you want something other than the stock alignment specs. Jim, the alignment guy, is great. (Although the guys in the office are grumpy SOBs).
    for where youre at, id recommend petersons too.

what specs are you running, if you dont mind?

I really don't know. I assume stock. I've had my toy for about three years and never had to think about it. It's always tracked straight and true on the road. I put a new set of tires on it about a month ago. The old ones had worn down nice and even. Next week she gets a new set of shocks and springs that will change everything including dropping it about an inch, so it will need it then. I'm looking at these numbers:

Flying Miata's (Their spring and shock combo)
    Front
    Caster: 5.0 degrees or max
    Camber: 1.0 degrees negative
    Toe: 1/16" total (1/32" per side)
    Rear
    Camber: 1.5 degrees negative
    Toe: 1/16" total (1/32" per side)

Miata.net
    Front
    Caster: 4.7 to 5.5 (or maximum)
    Camber: -0.6 to -0.8 (will vary according to caster.)
    Toe: 1/16” per side or 1/8” total
    Rear
    Camber: -1.1
    Toe: 1/16” per side or 1/8” total or zero
    My old 99' My new 99'

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SilverToy
    Next week she gets a new set of shocks and springs that will change everything including dropping it about an inch.
    You going to do a Tech day for the installation, bunch of us around these parts got experience with Shocks and Springs!

BTW. Where are you at in N. Ft. Worth, I'm up in Park Glen neighborhood.

Hi neighbor! I'm in the Sutters Mill area. (Basswood/Riverside) Black Roadster is putting in the springs and shocks, I asked him a few days back. Later on a tech day sounds good. I have to remove my 99's nose to replace the inside air channel. I'm sure sombody could use the time/place to do something while I remove the 1000 or so screws it will take.
    My old 99' My new 99'

Default New Tires/Spring/Shock/Alignment update—WOW!!

OK, I know this is old hat to some/most of you reading this but...
    Added the KYB AJX's, FM springs, and a kick tail alignment and I cannot believe how this thing feels. First, Thank you BlackRoadster for putting in the springs and shocks , thank you everybody for recommending Peterson's.
    I took little Maggie through a couple of my favorite corners (2-3 times) and could not believe the difference. At the same speed that used to have the car bobbing and moving all over the place, I was able to step on the peddle and I could feel the car just squat down in the rear and go. The suspension never blinked!!! I know most ya'll do this on the track and are used to it but WOW. I always thought it handled well but I had no idea. It really is like a new car. As for the Bling-Bling, I love the 1” drop.
    The Alignment ended up:
    Front: Camber: -1.0” (was 1.0”)
    Caster: 5.0” (was 6.0” Yes a 6.0”, he could not believe it and checked it a couple of times.)
    Toe: 0.04” (was -0.15”)
    Rear: Camber: -1.4” (was 2.0”)
    Toe: 0.03” (was 0.45”)
    I know there are more aggressive settings, but with all my time being on the street, I wanted my tires to last more than a summer. About Peterson's,
    Peterson's was about 15 minutes from my home, and it was a great experience. I was right with him while he aligned the car (on the rack between a bad a** 60's Plymouth Fury with slicks and a Dodge Viper.) and talked cars all the way through. Did not at all mind me being in the garage. He stated he did not mind people sitting in the car, bringing weights or what ever, he really seemed interested in the sport, giving me exactly what I wanted, and was willing to explain exactly what he was doing and why. maybe It's just me, but I find that hard to find in this day and age. I would recommend anybody to go there. Before leaving we bs'd for a while in the front office about cars, seems they do about 40+ Miata's a year from all over the state and a couple from out of state.
    Again thanks for the advise. Ken
    My old 99' My new 99'

Smile

Ken,

I'm glad you're happy. I appreciate the business and look forward to hanging out in the future.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)