Thread: And another EBAY topic

Default And another EBAY topic

I have another question for you guys. I went ahead and relisted my midpipe, since the guy wanting to buy it never got back to me. I get an email from someone else asking my reserve price, and saying something about being worried about shipping. I told him how much I thought shipping was, and ignored the reserve question. I thought the point of the reserve was so others didnt know it. SHould I tell him, is it a bad idea to?

Well, hell, how much do you want for it? I've been thinking about cutting out my cat and going without... a couple of muffler shops have quoted me about 50 bucks all total.

135, is my reserve. I think it is better than cutting out the cat, for one thing, it still has a cat, second, if you dont like it, you can put the stock one back on with just four bolts. Plus it is bigger piping than stock. But, I still dont want to tell that guy that do I?

The whole purpose of a Reserve Price is to artificially lower the starting bid price to attract attention and get people bidding. You're under no obligation to tell him. You could just tell him, "It's a secret." If you don't want to tell him, I think you're perfectly justified. He can bid what he thinks its worth...if it's enough and over the reserve, he wins. If not, he's SOL.

FWIW, I think you're expecting a bit much, but that's your perogative.

Quote Originally Posted by mpolansky
    The whole purpose of a Reserve Price is to artificially lower the starting bid price to attract attention and get people bidding...
    I'm no eBay guru, but I thought the point behind a Reserve Price is to keep bidding from starting at...say... $1.00 on a Boeing 747, and the bidder thinking they might win. I can still bid $1.00, but the message "bid is below reserve price" or something to that effect comes up, and I know that my bid will not be accepted.

Guessing the Reserve Price is a game for the bidder, particularly on items that aren't popular. If someone has a pair of Lederhosen :colors: up for bid (not a terribly popular item), they might put a reserve price of $50.00 on them. I try to bid $10.00, hoping to "steal" a great deal, but then I get that message saying my bid is below the reserve. So I start the $15.00, $20.00, $25.00 thing hoping to put in a bid just above the Reserve Price... but not too far above the Reserve Price. The seller on the other hand, is hoping that someone will come in with a starting bid of $100.00, and start the "bidding frenzy" from there.

And besides, if the Reserve Price wasn't a "secret", it would simply be posted on the site. So you don't have to tell this bidder anything about your Reserve Price.

And is $135 to much for your FM Midpipe? Well, it's a little less than half the cost of one new. I'm not a big buyer of used parts, but I got my used OEM STB for about 1/2 the price of a new one, but I'm guessing if you want a quick sale on that midpipe, a lower price would help.

You know what you need to do Majik is just give Vivid that mid pipe!

That way you won't have to worry about any ethical or monetary concerns! And as an added bonus you will know your mid pipe will be used for good and not evil!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    And as an added bonus you will know your mid pipe will be used for good and not evil!
    Once again, the door is open for all kinds of remarks.

I shall remain polite to avoid IMVivid's wrath
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    You know what you need to do Majik is just give Vivid that mid pipe!

That way you won't have to worry about any ethical or monetary concerns! And as an added bonus you will know your mid pipe will be used for good and not evil!
    Too bad my midpipe, wont fit with her mid chassis brace.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Too bad my midpipe, wont fit with her mid chassis brace.
    Hey you stay away from her mid chassis brace! Or I'm telling your mom!