Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State Inspection

Default State Inspection

I'm wondering if I'm going to fail the State Inspection because of my side markers. They're clear but illuminate in the proper color.
    Problem is I cut up my old ones to illuminate my Bling Bling ones.

According to the TX DOT website, it looks like I might.

I guess I'll go try and hope for a lenient inspector.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Just an FYI - Ya know when you fail a state inspection for any reason it can show up on your carfax report.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Just an FYI - Ya know when you fail a state inspection for any reason it can show up on your carfax report.
    Does that go for the first inspection, or only if you fail the free re-test?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    On my RX7 it showed everytime it failed... YMMV

Any inspection... but if you then pass again, it too will be reflected on the record.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Any inspection... but if you then pass again, it too will be reflected on the record.
    But the pisser is the possible next owner of your car is going to see the car failed an inspection if they pull a carfax on it before they buy it.......

If it will make you feel better....
    My car passed this morning.....
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

But the pisser is the possible next owner of your car is going to see the car failed an inspection if they pull a carfax on it before they buy it.......
    Perhaps... but if you explain the situation and the fact that it's now all fixed and has a current inspection...

Talking

Perhaps... but if you explain the situation and the fact that it's now all fixed and has a current inspection...
    Good luck with that!

If I am looking at two cars and one has a negative on the carfax it quickly moves to the #2 position on my shopping list. Or I will hammer you for a deal since it has had "issues" in the past.

Good luck with that!

If I am looking at two cars and one has a negative on the carfax it quickly moves to the #2 position on my shopping list. Or I will hammer you for a deal since it has had "issues" in the past.
    Not me... I'll take the car that got a new CAT, new plugs and wires, a fuel injector cleaning, seafoamed, and god knows what other new parts before someone figured out that the O2 sensor was bad.

Good luck with that!

Perhaps, but I believe any reasonable person would be able to tell the if the person was sincere in their explanation. However, one does always have the right to up and walk away from the deal because they were scared away by a carfax report.

For me, personally, if it was a car I really, really wanted because it was a rare, hard to find car with a smog issue that had been fixed, I would probably try to deal on it and buy the car anyhow.

For me, personally, if it was a car I really, really wanted because it was a rare, hard to find car with a smog issue that had been fixed, I would probably try to deal on it and buy the car anyhow.
    Possibly if it was rare I consider giving it a chance, but otherwise I'd be looking at other alternatives.

I just don't get the reasoning. There are a bunch of different wear parts that will cause a car to fail an inspection. Many of them can be bad enough to cause a car to fail inspection without the car owner ever having a clue there was a problem. Odds are that most cars will have a problem like this at one point or another. It doesn't make it a bad car... it just means it is a normal used car.

I just don't get the reasoning.
    OK, Let me simplify it for ya!

Hypothetical Situation:
    Going to buy my daughter a Camry have found 2 that would work. Both have about the same miles, look to be in the same shape, both have maintenance records, and are equipped identically. Pull a Carfax and one has failed a state inspection, the other on has not. I'm going to favor the one that has not had any issues, over the one that has failed.

Seems pretty simple to me.......

Default Ask them first.

Ask to speak to the person doing the inspection and ask them, also, I believe they turn on the lights to check all the bulbs and at that time your lights will show the proper color.
    My old 99' My new 99'
    Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

OK, Let me simplify it for ya!

Hypothetical Situation:
    Going to buy my daughter a Camry have found 2 that would work. Both have about the same miles, look to be in the same shape, both have maintenance records, and are equipped identically. Pull a Carfax and one has failed a state inspection, the other on has not. I'm going to favor the one that has not had any issues, over the one that has failed.

Seems pretty simple to me.......
    Would you consider something like an O2 sensor that went bad in the past to have any baring on the future reliability of the car? I guess in some instances it could, but I still have no problem with the car that failed.

Imagine that your 2 Camrys each have around 100k miles on them. Lets say that Camrys of this vintage tend to have O2 sensor failures 100k-120k miles. the car that failed has already been fixed. You are going to likely to get stuck replacing the O2 on your clean carfax Camry when its O2 sensor goes out the following year. You may even fail an inspection becuase of it!

Would you consider something like an O2 sensor that went bad in the past to have any baring on the future reliability of the car? I guess in some instances it could, but I still have no problem with the car that failed.
    How can you guarantee that was all that cause the failure? Just because the previous owner says that the case that doesn't always mean that truly is the case.

O2 sensors would be something I would automatically replace shortly after I buy a high mileage car, as well as all filters and fluids.

It's obvious to me you and I will never agree on this and that's fine.

It's obvious to me you and I will never agree on this and that's fine.
    Agreed!

Getting back on track for BR, does Texas offer pre-inspections? I know in California, you could get a pretest for Smog (they didn't car about testing safety). It basically was the exact same test, but without the computer connected to the DMV mainframe. If you are concerned about getting an Astrix next to your vin, this would be the way to go.

They might do that Titus but I would figure on forking over 39.50 even for a pretest. There in business to make a living. I really don't think they will do it for nothin.
    Going back to BR's problem. I thought it was the clear marker lights he was worried about "this time" ?
    In my opinion....If I was looking to buy an older Miata with close to 200k on it. I think I would accept the fact it had some issues and spend my money getting it right rather than on a carfax report.
    As always just my opinion....
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast