Thread: Need new tires...any suggestions?

Default Need new tires...any suggestions?

Since I have to get a new top asap, I would like to find a good deal on some street tyres, so anybody have any good ideas to add to what I found? What does everyone think about these:

Kumho ECSTA 711 for $47 at Tirerack
    Hankook Radial K106 for $37 at Edgeracing.com
    Falken Ziex Ze 512 for $47 at Edgeracing.com

I've heard the Falkens above are pretty good and under $200 for a set of 15in tires sounds like a helluva deal with my tight pocket book right now!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

I've heard good things about the Falkens, not such good things about the 711s. I have no experience with the Hankooks but I really like my RS-2s.

I think the Falkens are a pretty safe bet.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    I've heard good things about the Falkens, not such good things about the 711s. I have no experience with the Hankooks but I really like my RS-2s.

I think the Falkens are a pretty safe bet.
    Thanks for the input.

BTW, where are some of the other tire sites for track tyres such as Hancooks? My Azenies still have quite a bit of life left but going to be at the track every month so I'll need some more track tires pretty soon also!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    Thanks for the input.

BTW, where are some of the other tire sites for track tyres such as Hancooks? My Azenies still have quite a bit of life left but going to be at the track every month so I'll need some more track tires pretty soon also!
    what size? I've got a bunch of used 14" RT 215s sitting around.

BTW, I bought my last set of Hankooks and my last set of Azenis from Edge. They seem to have one of the better deals.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I have the Hankok. It is not as sticky as the Azenis, but is very good for the TCB price. I love it being very linear and predictable. Good enough and fun for the street. I wears similar to most summer tires, fast.

Again, this is a TCB deal!
    Gabriel

They dropped the price of the RT 615 to within a few bucks per tire of the Hankook RS-2s. So the pricing is pretty close.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I've never run 711s on the Miata, but they SUCKED on my cobra
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

of the 3 you listed up top, the Falkens will be the stickiest. Got a set on my turbo snail, and they are confidence inspiring for 3 digit highway cruising. Not exactly sporty, but a nice all-around tire.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    of the 3 you listed up top, the Falkens will be the stickiest. Got a set on my turbo snail, and they are confidence inspiring for 3 digit highway cruising. Not exactly sporty, but a nice all-around tire.
    Hmm...thanks. That's probably what I'm leaning towards. I have a garage full of half used race tyres and a set of good track tires but I need some street ones that will last a while and not slide all over the place in the rain! Between traveling to different hockey rinks, school, and playing around I've averaged around 34k miles per year the past 2 years so I don't mind sacrificing some stickyness for some extra tread life on the street wheels.

Thanks again for the input guys. So I'll see if anything else sparks my interest other than the Falkens untill the paycheck comes next week.