Thread: Need new top...maybe frame too?

Default Need new top...maybe frame too?

My top is leaking extreamly bad. I spent all Monday pulling the carpet up and removing the soaked insulation and vacuuming out water! My top frame seems to be worn out as well or just needs adjustment. Anyone experienced with checking it out or know a good place near Plano area to have it looked at. In the mean time gonna keep an eye on ebay before I blow my next paycheck on a new top.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Same problem dude! except mine only leaks to where the outer edges of the seats and cargo shelf gets wet. Which acually worries me cause I have some pricey upward mounted speakers installed in the cargo shelf and I don't need those getting wet. The fog is getting /really/ annoying every time it rains and same with the twin jets of water that drip on my wrist and leg whenever I slow down from the inside rain catcher doohickeys.

Of course on a college student budget I'm currently stalking a few ebay auctions, no robbins or whatnot for me here. Vinyl with glass window for only $300 shipped! wooooo... /cry.
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

Quote Originally Posted by TheChadVIII
    Of course on a college student budget I'm currently stalking a few ebay auctions, no robbins or whatnot for me here. Vinyl with glass window for only $300 shipped! wooooo... /cry.
    I hear ya! And I would hate to replace it with a cheap one. I'm just wondering about my top frame though. Seems flimsy now and doesn't flip right up and go straight into the latches all the time. I have to pull it tight to get it to seal to the front windshield to snap the latches sometimes!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

mine has problems if I try doing the latches one at a time occasionally, but I think its because the old vinyl window doesn't want to un-noodle itself.
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

Default leaks

do you guys close the latches one at a time or both of them together, errr do you close them when you're inside the car or outside?

mine had a problem around where the window closes but i just moved the plastic seal outward and now the window closes in place...

one last leak i need to get rid of is the a/c vent, when i hit a puddle of water i feel little sprinkles on my right hand in the shifter area... anyone?
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Do you guys know the top, seals, latches, and windows are adjustable? You might have to do some research on the pointy board but it is the CB way.

Now if you're rear deck and trunk are getting soaked, it's likely your rain rail. This is rivited to the top but buying a used NB top would be beneficial as the NB tops have a more durable rubber rain rail as opposed to the fragile plastic on on the NA.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by Mouglie
    one last leak i need to get rid of is the a/c vent, when i hit a puddle of water i feel little sprinkles on my right hand in the shifter area... anyone?
    Shifter boot maybe??

Don't forget about your old crusty friend the rain rail when it cracks you get leaks. Also check and see your tops canooter weep holes are not plugged. Easy to check with a garden hose.