Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japan-Only Race-Ready MX-5

Default Japan-Only Race-Ready MX-5

Japanese consumers who are itching to get their race on can now purchase the NR-A model Roadster (a.k.a. the MX-5 to us) that comes equipped with race-ready parts to compete in “Roadster Party” one-make races sponsored by Mazda in Japan.

The NR-A features height adjustable Bilstein dampers, a torque-sensing ‘Super LSD’ [how does this differ from the existing LSD?] and front strut tower bars that make more capable the already superlative handling MX-5. A leather-wrapped steering wheel and aluminum pedals are the only other mods. The MSRP for the MX-5 NR-A will be 2.3 million yen, or $19,706 US. Unfortunately the track-ready model will only be available in its own domestic market of Japan.

Nice.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel

Japanese consumers who are itching to get their race on can now purchase the NR-A model Roadster (a.k.a. the MX-5 to us) that comes equipped with race-ready parts to compete in “Roadster Party” one-make races sponsored by Mazda in Japan.

The NR-A features height adjustable Bilstein dampers, a torque-sensing ‘Super LSD’ [how does this differ from the existing LSD?] and front strut tower bars that make more capable the already superlative handling MX-5. A leather-wrapped steering wheel and aluminum pedals are the only other mods. The MSRP for the MX-5 NR-A will be 2.3 million yen, or $19,706 US. Unfortunately the track-ready model will only be available in its own domestic market of Japan.

Nice.

S.
    Base model (read lightest) 5-speed, LSD, 16 inch rims, and better shocks. It is everything Autocrossers have been asking for from Mazda and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Base model (read lightest) 5-speed, LSD, 16 inch rims, and better shocks. It is everything Autocrossers have been asking for from Mazda and more.
    I think you're being a little unfair, Titus. We all know how the 5-speed's gearing is better for autox, and everyone here kvetched about how the big and heavy 17 inch rims would affect unsprung weight. So isn't it a good thing that Mazda is offering the go-fast goodies on a lightweight, nicely-geared, good-wheel-sized Miata? Granted, it ain't gonna set the world on fire, but I'd be willing to be some people in the States would be interested in this set-up.

S.

And it's exactly what Mazda needs to release here to compete with the Z0K Option Solstice.

In other words, there's not a snowball's chance in hell that we'll ever see it (which is what I think titus was getting at).
    Last edited by altiain; 03-23-2006 at 04:02 PM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I think you're being a little unfair, Titus. We all know how the 5-speed's gearing is better for autox, and everyone here kvetched about how the big and heavy 17 inch rims would affect unsprung weight. So isn't it a good thing that Mazda is offering the go-fast goodies on a lightweight, nicely-geared, good-wheel-sized Miata? Granted, it ain't gonna set the world on fire, but I'd be willing to be some people in the States would be interested in this set-up.

S.
    Ah Sparky did ya miss this part??
    Unfortunately the track-ready model will only be available in its own domestic market of Japan.

S.
    It would be the perfect race Miata... IF IT WAS MADE AVAILABLE HERE! GRRR

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Ah Sparky did ya miss this part??

S.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    And it's exactly what Mazda needs to release here to compete with the Z0K Option Solstice.
    You would think Mazda might be able to use this against the Z0K Solstice since it sure looks like Mazda already has all the parts it needs on the shelf!

Perhaps Mazda is basing it on a few factors? Number one being past experience. Mazda offered the R-Package on '94 through '97 and here are the number of units sold.

1994 - 1,218
    1995 - 465
    1996 - 111
    1997 - 47

That's 1,841 R-Paks in 4 years of production with decreasing sales.
    Take into account that Mazda's total sales of Miatas in that four years is 77,323. (Info from Miata.net FAQ)

Not exactly a strong seller. I sold Miatas in 1994 for Freeman and I can tell you the R-Paks were not flying off the lot. They're desirable now that you can't get them anymore much like the 92 yellows but even the yellows supposedly didn't sell like hotcakes when new.

If you take it from a business standpoint and consider the additional costs of marketing, parts supplying, dealer education, service education, the list goes on. Then consider the expected demographics and sales, it just does not add up.

Would Mazda sell a race ready MX-5 here? Yes, but the number of units sold would be minimal.

Here's a good question. If Mazda imported them today, how many of you are ready right now to write a check to your local dealer for 20 large? That's what I thought.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    Here's a good question. If Mazda imported them today, how many of you are ready right now to write a check to your local dealer for 20 large? That's what I thought.
    You know if they actually offered an NC that would fit in my needs it would already be in my garage. We like the NC just wished they offered a bit more flexibility on option packages.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    If Mazda imported them today, how many of you are ready right now to write a check to your local dealer for 20 large? That's what I thought.
    Actually... I once posted a big long post over at Miata.net (way back in 2001) that if Mazda would build a Miata with 170-180hp, sell it in dark grey, and give it a red interior, I would buy one.

So they did, and I did!

S.

Actually... I once posted a big long post over at Miata.net (way back in 2001) that if Mazda would build a Miata with 170-180hp, sell it in dark grey, and give it a red interior, I would buy one.

So they did, and I did!

S.
    He shoots....He scores....

So they did, and I did!

S.
    I call .... Lets see a link to the post!

Also, just a note... When Mazda announced the special order NBs with yellow as an option, I told my wife that she needed to make room in the budget for another payment, as I was certain I was going to get one. When the online ordering tool came out, I learned that you couldn't order any packaging combinations that were not already available. It would not allow me to order the car with black interior, LSD, and a hardtop. I decided I would not compromise, and ended up sticking with my 1992 yellow with black interior, LSD, and a hardtop. If they ever allowed me to order a yellow NC with 5 speed, LSD, black leather, and a black felt top, I would have a hard time resisting.

Also, just a note... When Mazda announced the special order NBs with yellow as an option, I told my wife that she needed to make room in the budget for another payment
    I take it she said no....

Quote Originally Posted by riverracer
    I take it she said no....
    She knows better than to get between me and a Miata.

I call .... Lets see a link to the post!
    Alright, alright. I think I also said I wanted a factory rollbar. You can't always get everything you want.

S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast