Thread: 94 Brake pads

Default 94 Brake pads

Since we have gotten this car I have been trying to go over it and perform any maintenance that may not have been done.

Last night I pulled all 4 tires and closely inspected the brake pads. The fronts definately need to be replaced (not down to metal but close) and the rears are probalby 25%. What do ya'll use on the stock brakes? This is my wifes daily driver which is a little spirited but nothing too outrageous. The Rotors appear to be in good shape on all 4 corners and the pads are all wearing evenly.

OEM pads are great, just make sure you don't get the Mazda Value Parts version.

If you want a cheaper solution with good performance I'd take a look at the Axxis/PBR Deluxe, Deluxe Plus, or Metal Master. The Deluxe and Deluxe Plus are supposed to have very little dusting.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Another vote for OEM.

I use OEM.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Oem
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Yea OEM Rocks!

Trussville Mazda still has free shipping and no sales tax.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Yea OEM Rocks!

Trussville Mazda still has free shipping and no sales tax.
    That was about 20 minutes too late.

I just got bak from Freeman (its just down the road) and picked up the pads. The fronts were more expensive then Trussville but the rears were about the same price. But I had to pay Uncle Sam as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk
    That was about 20 minutes too late.
    DRAT!

Have you done brakes on a Miata before?? Do you know the secret of the rear brakes??

No I have not done them before. But I have read the writeup on miata.net. I beleive the secret you are refereing to is the 4mm Torq screw under the bolt on the caliper.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk
    No I have not done them before. But I have read the writeup on miata.net. I beleive the secret you are refereing to is the 4mm Torq screw under the bolt on the caliper.
    Yep!
    The first step with the rear brake pads is to retract the caliper piston. On the inside of the caliper is a 14mm bolt that acts as a cover for the manual adjustment screw. (Click on photos for larger image.) An easy way to find this bolt is to follow the brake hose to the caliper. There you will see two 14mm bolts next to each other. The one that covers the manual adjustment screw is the one next to the one that bolts the brake hose to the caliper. Remove this bolt and use the 4mm hex key to back the piston into the caliper.
    Linky!

I bought Axxis Ultimate since they were cheaper than OEM from Trussville. They are pretty dusty.

So yeah, go OEM!
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".