Thread: Stranded

Default Stranded

My Nissan Valdeez ('93 pickup) stranded me today. I had just put some gas in it and hopped on the freeway. It died as I was accelerating up the on ramp. I just had the damn thing inspected yesterday and it passed with flying colors.

Called AAA and got it towed home.

The engine cranks and occassionally sputters but will not fire. I had changed the plugs, wires, rotor and cap about 6 months ago. I replaced the fuel filter but that didn't do it.

I know the problem is either spark, timing or fuel. The problem is I can't check this on my own. You really need two people. Anyone available to help me diagnose this? Hopefully someone knoledgeable in these areas.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Sounds a whole lot like a dead fuel pump. It happened on the 1990 Lincoln Town Car (white w/red leather :afro:) that I was running three summers ago. It died on my way to LA from Phoenix, about 30 miles east of Palm Springs. The outside temperature gauge read 118 degrees. That was fun...

I do miss that car, though...

S.

I'm thinking that too. The car would occasionally die at stop lights. The prices are outrageous though. I've checked online and it looks like they run $250!
    ...and across the line.

The one for the Town Car cost around $150, although, since AAA towed it to Pasadena (gotta love that AAA membership!) I had to pay a shop an additional $150 to install it. That car never game me another ounce of grief, though.

I bought it for $1,500 and sold it for $2,600, so I still turned a tidy profit on it.

S.

Is it an in tank fuel pump? Do you hear it running??

You could always disconnect a fuel line and power it up and see if you get any gas on your shoes, quick way to tell if the pump is working.

Well, http://www.partsamerica.com/ lists one for you for $188. I have an inline fuel pressure gauge if you want to test it.

Also, if you want OEM Nissan Parts, http://mynissanparts.com offers a small discount over retail. It is Trophy Nissan's site, but they do not offer the discounts at there parts counter... it is online only.
    Last edited by Titus; 04-07-2006 at 07:13 AM.

Did you get some REALLY bad gas?
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie
    Could be that breakfast burrito he had, but that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie
    Maybe he got some of that bad ethanol mix gas that Mark52 keeps in his trunk!

Strange but simple solution. My neighbor is a mechanic and found the problem immediately.

The coil wire was corroded at the ignition coil. I cleaned the ignition coil contact and grabbed the coil wire from the old set I had. Started right up!

Props to my neighbor, Luis. If you have an OTM and have a problem you can't or don't want to do yourself, let me know and I'll give you his info. Good, honest mechanic and reasonable rates too!
    ...and across the line.

So did you put some dielectric grease on those wires to keep that from happening again??

Glad ya got it fixed so cheaply! :afro:

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    So did you put some dielectric grease on those wires to keep that from happening again??

Glad ya got it fixed so cheaply! :afro:
    Er... Uh.. yeah... got to go buy some of that.
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    Props to my neighbor, Luis.
    Good kid, that Luis!

For a second, when you wrote neighbor, I thought perhaps the crank next door had changed his life around...

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Good kid, that Luis!

For a second, when you wrote neighbor, I thought perhaps the crank next door had changed his life around...
    Nope. He's still a butthead.

The dude is a freak too. We don't see him during the week but every weekend he mows his grass (Except when it's been dormant), he power washes his truck that never gets dirty, and uses spray and wash on all his clothes on his pickup tailgate. One week he was scrubbing ALL his jeans on the back of his tailgate!
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    One week he was scrubbing ALL his jeans on the back of his tailgate!
    I hope he was wearing something while doing this...

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I hope he was wearing something while doing this...
    thank gawd yes!!!
    ...and across the line.