Thread: Aura (or, How Saturn Got Its Mojo Back)

Default Aura (or, How Saturn Got Its Mojo Back)

Revealed today, the new Saturn Aura sedan.

The Aura’s driving character will match its refined design, with a host of technologically sophisticated powertrains and a premium sport-sedan setup. Uplevel models feature GM’s first application of a new six-speed automatic transmission mated with the 3.6L DOHC V-6, creating a powerful yet fuel-efficient package. Later in the 2007 model year, Saturn will offer the Aura Green Line, a 2.4L Ecotec-based hybrid that will use a powertrain system similar to the Vue Green Line. It marks the first application of a hybrid powertrain in a GM passenger car.

Uplevel XR models are equipped with the 3.6L DOHC V-6 with VVT, rated at 252 horsepower* (188 kw) and 251 lb.-ft. of torque (340 Nm).* This engine is mated with the all-new Hydra-Matic 6T70 six-speed automatic transmission, the first application of this important addition to the GM Powertrain portfolio. The transmission allows for strong performance combined with strong fuel efficiency.

Looks like another winner. It looks like we might finally be able to buy GM cars because they're desireable, and not just because we want to help GM.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    That looks alot like the Ford Passat... I mean the Volkswagen 500... er, uhm... hmm...
    Agreed, but it looks very mainstream and basically attractive, which is new territory for Saturn. The 252hp V6 should be competitive with what Honda and Toyota are offering, and the suspension tuning will be off the European Opel Vectra. They may have played it safe with the styling, but this is the kind of car GM needs to be offering right now. If the price is right and the quality is solid, they should be able to move quite a few of these.

S.

Ya wonder if they would be better off just calling it an Opel. The Saturn name isn't the pinnacle of GM since they built so much ugly junk over the years.

Bring back Oldsmobile name, call it the Cutlass Supreme Brougham!

Quote Originally Posted by AUTOWEEK
    Built on a long-wheelbase version of the same chassis under the Pontiac G6, Chevrolet Malibu, Saab 9-3 and Opel Vectra, the front-drive sedan is powered by a 3.6-liter 250-hp V6 mated to a six-speed tapshift automatic.

VW Jetta meets Ford Fusion, with the wheel gap designer from the NC Miata.

My sister had a Saturn. It was a truly ugly car inside and out, but she just couldn't kill it. That's not to suggest that it ever ran well, it just didn't know when to quit.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    They may have played it safe with the styling, but this is the kind of car GM needs to be offering right now.

S.
    I disagree. If GM is going to survive - let alone prosper - over the long term, what they need is to lead, not follow the herd with another bland "me too!" exercise like this one.

Contrary to popular belief, GM has been making pretty decent cars for a number of years. What they haven't been making (with rare exceptions like the Solstice and Corvette) is cars that people really, really want, like junkies want a fix. Until GM rolls out some breathtaking, segment-busting, "wish we woulda thought of that" vehicle, they will continue their long, slow slide towards financial oblivion. Even the big players in the game have to be willing to take risks now and then if they want to stay ahead of the competition, and GM has shown a complete and utter inability to do this.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Just another one of GM's famous "lets use this chassis across all our brands" market plays.

At least this one looks better than the others.

I'm finding myself agreeing with Iain on this. However that slide for GM will be painfully long... Large companies tend to cycle from bust to boom to bust over & over. They become profitable as they shrink then start to grow again only to become bloated and insolvent again.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    My sister had a Saturn. It was a truly ugly car inside and out, but she just couldn't kill it. That's not to suggest that it ever ran well, it just didn't know when to quit.
    Ha my sister had a Saturn also! It was a steamy pile of automotive technology. But I do believe it ran better than the Trailblazer she traded it in on, but thats another story!