Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test Pipe

Default Test Pipe

I have to get inspected this month so I was thinking that after I get that done I'll have a full year to enjoy ignoring emissions, so test pipe came to mind. Currently I have a different intake(K&N cone filter) and a MonsterFlow CoolBox(not installed yet, still in the mail) and then Roadster Sport3 axel-back exhaust and I'm wondering where I could get a good price on one. I checked eBay but they didn't have anything for a '99 Also what size should I get? I have a feeling it's 2.5" but something inside also tells me it might be 2.25", so I'm not really sure.

And would anyone happen to have a sound byte or something of how loud I could expect it to be? Right now I don't have the baffle in the RoadsterSport but that can easily be changed.

On the 99s the cat is integrated into the midpipe. So it is a pain in the ass to get a test pipe. I ran with a racing beat race midpipe for a bit. It is catless with a large resonator. It sounded good, but was very loud. I added a small cat to it, because it really stunk also. Now it passes emisions and doesnt stink.

I have a test pipe for my '91 but am scared of the smell enough to leave it off! No matter what anyone says about how little you can smell it, thats the last odor I'd have waft through the cabin with the top down with a cute girl in the car!
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

I didn't think the smell was that bad, but I didn't drive the car as a daily driver. The car will be much louder without the cat.

If anybody is interested in a test pipe for a 94-97, let me know.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I think the size is 2.25, from what I hear 2.5 is too big and you lose torque
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by TheChadVIII
    ...top down with a cute girl in the car!
    "oh baby, thats just cuz the car's rich!"

thatll confuse her to your benefit... ok maybe not. i dunno, i never have one of those anyways. i have a TP and its louder. its been on for a while now, i think youre gonna smell exhaust fumes regardless....

Quote Originally Posted by BAM!
    i think youre gonna smell exhaust fumes regardless....

Yeah I can smell mine faintly already. But at any rate I went for inspection today and it turns out my rear tyres were down to the wear-bar... Whoops! Totally forgot to check that. Now I have days to get my tyres shipped(unless I can find them in a 195/50R15 around Houston this weekend, which I doubt), and retest I'm thinking of getting Kumho Ecsta SPT or the Supra V712s, not sure which yet but I'm leaning towards the SPTs.

Just get an aftermarket free-flow cat welded in... Keep the fumes down and it's butt-dyno approved. (but NOT TCB approved - unless you find it free)
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Well I passed inspection today with my new BFGoodrich G-Force's on the rears. Yay I think I'm going to hold off on the test pipe. If it could just be bolted in then I would do it but welding is a big of a hastle.

FYI, there are usually bolt in Magnaflow highflow cats on Ebay for around $70.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    FYI, there are usually bolt in Magnaflow highflow cats on Ebay for around $70.
    But on a 99, the cat is one peice with the midpipe from the header all the way to the muffler.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolix
    Yeah I can smell mine faintly already. But at any rate I went for inspection today and it turns out my rear tyres were down to the wear-bar... Whoops! Totally forgot to check that. Now I have days to get my tyres shipped(unless I can find them in a 195/50R15 around Houston this weekend, which I doubt), and retest I'm thinking of getting Kumho Ecsta SPT or the Supra V712s, not sure which yet but I'm leaning towards the SPTs.
    you can borrow 2 14" wheels from me, just slap em on and go pass your inspection

you can borrow 2 14" wheels from me, just slap em on and go pass your inspection

While I am sure Bolix appreciates the offer,
    And he is Houston.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolix
    Well I passed inspection today with my new BFGoodrich G-Force's on the rears.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    But on a 99, the cat is one peice with the midpipe from the header all the way to the muffler.
    Wouldn't be too difficult to have someone cut the cat out and weld some flanges in to put a regular bolt in cat or a small straight pipe in.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Wouldn't be too difficult to have someone cut the cat out and weld some flanges in to put a regular bolt in cat or a small straight pipe in.

RJ
    No but that pretty much blows the 70 ebay price out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    You have to remember that BAM! live in a sort of time warp...
    also im not always here.... i bet the timestamp on this say something outrageous like 2am or something!

maybe you should put them on your own car..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast