Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Headlight Upgrade

Great Link! Thanks!
    What if the hokey pokey really IS what it's all about???

Quote Originally Posted by roadsoundlover
    Great Link! Thanks!
    Rated Life kinda sucks for a $50.00 bulb....

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Rated Life kinda sucks for a $50.00 bulb....
    I noticed that!
    Maybe the Cool Blues? seems like a nice overall upgrade...
    What if the hokey pokey really IS what it's all about???

Get the silverstars over the cool blues! Check on Ebay for cheaper prices. You should be able to get them at Target or your local autozone if you don't want to wait.

I've also heard that the Osram (euro version) Silverstar is better than the Sylvania version we get here in the US. Not sure how true that is, but both are on Ebay for much cheaper than $50, more like $25 a pair.

BTW, the difference in a fancy halogen like the silverstar or PIAA superwhite and real HID is huge. HID's are great.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Autozone has them for $20. each
    99 Miata Black

Heh. Headlight upgrade. This thread needs a link to page 3, too...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I put the Silverstars, and so far I am loving them, If you want you can swing by one night and look for yourself
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

My Silverstar's are very clear and a very clean, white light. Thay do seem to burn out quicker than the PIAA superwhites I've had in the past. I seem to cook about one a year-that's a little much in my book. I may go back to the PIAA's, or try something else on the next go around.
    My old 99' My new 99'
    Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

November 12, 2005 - A new beginning
    Devil: 1999 Brilliant Black NB - Base Edition - Stock Spec

AIM ID: ZeroXR13mg
    http://zeroxr.com

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Yes if you also change the bumper cover.
    and fenders IIRC.

Are they interchangeable? Yes. Are the headlamps an even swap? Not even close. Is it cost effective? No.

Oh... and barndoors rule!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Silverstar burn out way too quick. Definitely not a TCB deal.

This is a TCB source for the bulbs http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/

I got the house special for my 99 and is buy one get one free. They are not as white/blue as those on eBay (I bought one of those too), but it does put out more light on the road as advertised.
    Gabriel

Good link on the "TCB" powerbulbs. 2 for 1 works for me next time around. I think I resemble, I mean resent, the comment on the web site about the "40 year old eyes". I prefer to think they don't make lights as bright as "back in the day".
    My old 99' My new 99'
    Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Quote Originally Posted by SilverToy
    Good link on the "TCB" powerbulbs. 2 for 1 works for me next time around. I think I resemble, I mean resent, the comment on the web site about the "40 year old eyes". I prefer to think they don't make lights as bright as "back in the day".
    Maybe you should run your lights during the day may help ya get around better in places like Granbury.

Ill just toss in my I got silverstars last time my lights went out. Or one went out. The silverstars burned out after a few months so I put in stock replacements. They have been in and working for over 2 years now.

i bought our old 97 (RIP where ever you are) with PIAAs and couldnt afford to replace them, they went out in less than a year. i just bought el-cheapos and they were fine enough for me.... ended with the silverstars last though, liked them while we still had the car.

My old 99' My new 99'

best halogens are either the Osram Silverstars, or the Phillips Vision +50's the Osrams are like Sylvanias, with clear glass. I had a set of early silverstars that had clear glass and they were white and bright. they lasted forever in my car, over a year before I sold them with it. Also ran a set of the newer blue tinited silverstars in a suburban for over 3 yrs. if you want more expensive bulbs, the new "HIR" bulbs are supposed to be good.
    But the best would be retrofitting a HID Xenon setup in. Factory setups (hella, phillips ect..)can be had for 200-250 taken off of wrecked cars, these last, not like the cheepo plug and play kits that are cheap quality.
    check out the www.hidplanet.com forums someone on there retro'ed xenons into a 01-05 miata and it seemes that it turned out really well for him. ony retrofit into true projectors, or you will blind everyone infront of you with glare.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12