Thread: Starting Audio

Default Starting Audio

Well thanks to recent purchases I'm starting up my own mis-led project into the audio department of miata ownership, since I can't compete with ya'lls turbo'd and suspensionized cars.

I got the car opened up a bit back in the garage as I'm sending new speaker wires and two sets of monster RCA cables from the new JL audio 300/4 amp and my Audio Control 26-band equalizer from the head unit to the trunk.

I have four 6.5inch PPI 650C coaxial speakers that'll handle somethin around a 65watt rms/160watt peak load that the amp can kill, plus some boosted signal from the ±12dba EQ... two right and two left wired in series, I'm not worried about front/back fade in such a small cab, so the 75watts the amp will produce will be seen on all 4 speakers with only 2 of the channels, so that means I'll have 2 free channels that can bridge to 150watts rms.

Just finished that part... timestamp 1:30am elapsed time was 3 hours

So here's my question, Since the miata trunk is the only really place big enough for a subwewfer, has anyone heard any miatas with a sub in the back?

I have an idea of getting rid of a section of the back plate behind the seats, probably a 7inch wide by 3 or 4inch tall rectangle, to either the right or left side (around the gas tank in the middle) and replacing with a couple of grilles or a mesh to let air from the trunk area actually port into the cab, since I've heard stories of not much sound reaching all the way inside.

Any ideas or suggestions?
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

Default ref

there you go bro, go all crazy on it, lol...

http://wardsweb.org/cars/miata_subs.html
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

i used to have a subwewfer in the trunk, its already vented into your cab back there behind the spare tire, (Take it out already!) itll slow you down quite a bit. you are forewarned! and yes youre right not much sound reaches into the front. i may reccommend a jl stealthbox but you already have speakers there. you have 4 ppi coaxials and want more bass? get a hatchback and proceed!

hahaha, I had an eclipse with two JL W3s for my last car... so the 4 ppi 6.5"s ain't cutting it. I just want one 10" sub so maybe taking out the spare will lessen any weight gain.
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

I plan to one day have a custom 8" subfoofer box in the passenger side footwell. I also want to add an amp to power it and my door seperates.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

there you go bro, go all crazy on it, lol...

http://wardsweb.org/cars/miata_subs.html
    You can't put in a roll bar after this mod. The "hind legs" of the bar go through the same spot.
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong
    You can't put in a roll bar after this mod. The "hind legs" of the bar go through the same spot.
    Part of the reason I want to go with a footwell sub.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Wink heh

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong
    If you have a rollbar or plans for one then this isn't your route. Chad seems
    to be more geared towards Audio. This is my suggestion. But thenagain if i was adding subs to my car i would have them fiberglassed in my trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChadVIII
    I'm starting up my own mis-led project into the audio department of miata ownership, since I can't compete with ya'lls turbo'd and suspensionized cars.

Any ideas or suggestions?
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....