Thread: Camcorders

Default Camcorders

So I'm thinking about getting a new camcorder, can I get some education from you kids on what I should look for in a camcorder?

I would like to spend no more than $500.00 on the setup and would like it to be able to do the standard family stuff as well as posibly running a conecam in the future.

TIA

Cannon, JVC, Panasonic< Sony can't go wrong, I prefer Cannon for all my video equip, but I think it was JVC that had a cam with external lense to use on motorcycles and such, I will see what I can dig up. STAY AWAY FROM MINI DVD'S!
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

I've got a sharp mini DV, but if I could do it over again I'd love to get something that worked off of memory instead of tapes.

Definitely find some thing that you can plug a cone came into when you get around to that. BTW, you can by my cone came suction cup mount for a good price. My camcorder is a little too fat for the suction cup mount.

Also, I saw a Panasonic (I think) at best buy on clearance that came with a cone cam type of extension. I think it was a "sport" camcorder.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Have you checked Target?
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

With some cheap software like Adobe Premiere elements the Samsung SC-X105L Might work for you.
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    I've got a sharp mini DV, but if I could do it over again I'd love to get something that worked off of memory instead of tapes.
    So a memory based Camcorder might be a good choice?? Also saw mini DVD style ones, as well as tape.

Appreciate all the input so far!

Speaking of input what style input does a Conecam or the cool JVC auxiliary camera require??

What do you guys consider "must have" features?

I bought my last Camcorder over 10 years ago and it would appear they have made some advance since then!

Another thing that might be nice is an external mic input.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

That would be cool... I can just hear the SC whine video now!

For cone cam, the camcorder needs standard RCA type composite video and stereo (or mono) audio in. Probably labeled something like "Line In." Most camcorders share the jacks for line-in/line-out. The tiny ones these days have an external box with the jacks since there's no room on the device for them.

The conecam deluxe kit comes with a nifty amplified, powered microphone that delivers line level audio to your camcorder.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

As long as he puts it OUTSIDE the car. I've heard him drive
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    Hey that's a very very good point!

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    Do I have any videos out there with inappropriate language??? OOOPS! I've definitely dropped the F-bomb while plowing over cones.

Or is it all the grunting and snorting noises I make when I drive?
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Default camcorder

don't wanna sound to cheap...
    hey CVS sells a disposable video camera, you shoot like 20 minutes worth of footage, take it to cvs and they burn it onto a DVD for you.

or you can hack that same camera to where you can shoot for 20 minutes, load it up as a divx format onto your computer and reuse the camera...

The actual camera is worth more but they have them for $30, you shoot and give it back to them so they get it back, by decoding the video image you can pull the video out of the camera yourself and keep the camera for future uses... definately worth it and the resolution looks decent.
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

This sucker is cool slightly out of my budgeted allowance, but it is cool!

http://www.jvc.com/presentations/everio_g/

Went and got a Canon Elura 100 it's sweet and will get used quite a bit the next few days, got a Flip & Cheer Recital, Dance Recital, 4th Grade Awards, Talent show and then at the end of the week an Autocross!
    Last edited by POS Racing; 05-19-2006 at 09:23 PM.