Thread: NG Civic -- Ready to get radical about alternative fuels?

Default NG Civic -- Ready to get radical about alternative fuels?

Linkie.

If you use natural gas in your home, Honda may have a good solution for your daily commute. American Honda Motor announced Wednesday that the redesigned 2006 Civic GX will sticker at $24,440. Although the price isn't particularly low, the federal government sweetens the pot with an alternative fuel tax credit of $4,000, and an additional $1,000 for "Phill," Honda's natural gas home refueling station.

The CNG-fuelled GX boasts an EPA city/highway fuel economy rating of 28/39 miles per gasoline-gallon equivalent, but Honda estimates that if buyers refuel their GX from a home natural gas line using "Phill," the car's fuel will be a whopping 65 percent cheaper than gasoline.

On the green side of the ledger, the Civic GX has been proclaimed the "cleanest internal combustion engine on earth" by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

While performance isn't really the objective, the 2006 GX's 113 hp (a 10 percent increase over its predecessor) should get owners around town without difficulty.

S.

Hey Lurlene you sure you got that gas line hooked up correctly....

Would make an interesting commuter car, but is there a large CNG infrastructure? Where would I refuel this thing on a road trip?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Would make an interesting commuter car, but is there a large CNG infrastructure? Where would I refuel this thing on a road trip?
    That's a problem. But lots of people only need their second car to be a commuter car. I could see lots of people being interested in this, especially with the monster tax breaks.

Speaking of commutes and what-not, how're your new digs working out?

S.

yeah, I don't think there's any CNG stations on my way across south texas...

Nope, there's not..

http://afdcmap2.nrel.gov/locator/FindPane.asp
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    yeah, I don't think there's any CNG stations on my way across south texas...

Nope, there's not..

http://afdcmap2.nrel.gov/locator/FindPane.asp
    Who cares when you can refuel at home? Plus your map shows 12 stations in DFW.

Although, if Honda sells enough of these suckers and other manufacturers jump on board you might see some infrastructure start popping up.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    Speaking of commutes and what-not, how're your new digs working out?

S.
    Haven't found a new place yet... and I've still gotta sell the current one. It goes on the market next Thursday.

Between the Pro and upcoming (previously scheduled) vacation, it'll be a couple of weeks before we can spend any serious time looking, but we'll find something. Then I'll have to have a housewarming party to break in the new garage.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Haven't found a new place yet... and I've still gotta sell the current one. It goes on the market next Thursday.
    Translation... "I still haven't sold the Focus"
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Yeah, yeah. I guarantee you I'll be enjoying a frosty beverage in my new home long before a certain someone buys a Miata.
    Iain

Too funny
    99 Miata Black

I considered buying one last year then looked into having Phill installed

Phill is designed for use in countries with either 120v or 240v power supplies, and is now available in the United States in select parts of California, Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Utah, and Wisconsin.
    http://www.myphill.com/

Per the Honda website, the only certified NG civic dealers are in California too.
    To do list: carpet X1, seatcovers X1

97' Green M Edition

▄︻┻┳═一

Way cool. I was big into CNG at my last job. Funny thing is, my current employer builds LNG garbage trucks but I was not selected for the project.