Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: July Lonestar meeting

Suspension Modder

Just to set the record straight the accident pre-dated the outlaws many years (maybe fall 1992 or 1993). The outlaws as we know them came about after the '99 event when LSMC had 250 members. The rift (or division) was the result of a 35+ car weekend drive to Northern Arkansas. This will probably result in a lot of flame, but there was a lot of immaturity shown on that trip by some (I stress NOT ALL) of those who would become outlaws. Along with what some considered reckless driving there was a lot of inappropriate language on the CB's. I mentioned the club paranoia in my last post and there was probably an ill advised attempt to tone the perp's down. This was not done very tactfully but the club officers on the trip were in fact liable if something happened so I don't really blame them. This split the participants on the trip into two groups and it has never been the same. Prior to this trip we had pretty much worked together on events of all kinds.

Carl Long

I'm intrigued by history. I'm glad you guys are airing this out, because as a new-comer, I've wondered what the deal was as I’ve felt the tension, but couldn’t place it.

This thread is like watching the History channel.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Quote Originally Posted by mosmiles
    Just to set the record straight the accident pre-dated the outlaws many years (maybe fall 1992 or 1993). The outlaws as we know them came about after the '99 event when LSMC had 250 members. The rift (or division) was the result of a 35+ car weekend drive to Northern Arkansas. This will probably result in a lot of flame, but there was a lot of immaturity shown on that trip by some (I stress NOT ALL) of those who would become outlaws. Along with what some considered reckless driving there was a lot of inappropriate language on the CB's. I mentioned the club paranoia in my last post and there was probably an ill advised attempt to tone the perp's down. This was not done very tactfully but the club officers on the trip were in fact liable if something happened so I don't really blame them. This split the participants on the trip into two groups and it has never been the same. Prior to this trip we had pretty much worked together on events of all kinds.

Carl Long
    Carl, that's very interesting to hear. When I was an Outlaw (ironically, my ouster from that group was what led indirectly to the formation of MME), their version of the history was a bit different... which really isn't suprising, knowing what I know now about some of the people "in charge" over there.

Still, I'm willing to extend an olive branch to LSMC, since any and all bad blood between the various factions extends back to well before my Miata ownership began. We try to be a pretty open-minded group around here, and the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Suspension Modder

Yes, I agree that history is interesting. And the versions of what might have happened are certainly colored by the interested parties. In this case I was an innocent bystander. In fact I had split off from the larger group with two other cars at the last pit stop of the day partly because of the CB "talk". I walked in on the lecture at the motel later. I was surprised that a fight did not break out.
    I don't keep up with the "outlaws" much anymore and just figured that since most had moved away that the group did not exist.
    A group of us even formed a counter club called the "in-laws" within LSMC. Our slogan was "Drive it like you PAID for it!". We even had shirts with our logo (a bottle of wine and a plate of cheese graphic of course). That was just for fun and it too went away. Actually the club used to be a lot more fun when it wasn't so serious.
    Miata World '99 marked the turning point for the club. This event was the largest Miata gathering up to that time and the effort required of LSMC to pull it off was mind-boggleing. The committee members on that event were the movers and shakers of the club. There was nothing left for normal LSMC events and the larger club suffered as a result. But that too is history.

Carl Long

Quote Originally Posted by mosmiles
    Regarding brief history:

Yes, there is no one willing to execute "performance" driving events left in the LSMC. There are members of this group, but they choose not to plan club events. Attendance has been "dismal" at those that have been planned in the past. There is no ban on these events!
    I had been told during my brief stint with you guys that you no longer carried the insurance needed to offer performance events. Is there any truth to that statement?

As a side note please keep in mind Altiain does not speak for everyone here at MME although he will sometime act as if he does.

Mick Harrison

Suspension Modder

I had been told during my brief stint with you guys that you no longer carried the insurance needed to offer performance events. Is there any truth to that statement?

As a side note please keep in mind Altiain does not speak for everyone here at MME although he will sometime act as if he does.

Mick Harrison

Mick,

There is no truth to that statement. The insurance always required a "rider" for some events. This additional cost had to be factored into the event. For instance we could not have a "poker rally" as rally was an additional cost description. However we could call it a "poker run".

? re: your second statement (or am I missing something obvious to you all?)

Carl Long

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing

Mick Harrison
    Carl, please don't take that as a change in heart about the olive branch!
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing

Mick Harrison
    Carl, please don't take that as a change in heart about the olive branch!
    I agree I just want to point out that the individuals posting their personal opinions are just their own opinions. These opinions may not reflect the views of everyone present.

I welcome anyone from anywhere to give us a try.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12