Thread: SO much to say

Chassis Designer

Default SO much to say

Well it has been a while since I have been here ,have been trying to get the 96 miata to pass inspection all this time
    Discovered that someone had installed an ECM out of a 97 in it, which will give you false codes or codes that do not exist in a 96.
    I had done just about everything and some of the stuff you guys suggested I did twice
    I installed the correct ECM Saturday afternoon and Bingo away went the error code
    Now all I have to do is get it to read READY instead of NOT READY on the inspection
    Does anyone know what a drive cycle is for a 96 mx5 I dont know if I need to run it down the road for 40 miles or drive it at 30 mph for 10 miles
    I have already tried driving roughly 60 mph for 75 miles and still have 3 not ready flags whicj seem to be common on any car that has the Battery removed or the ECM removed. I would like to get them all gone but if one will go away it will pass
    EGR NOT READY
    CATYLST NOT READY
    O2 SENSOR NOT READY

Any help would be appreciated

From what I understand it is also key cycles that affect those error codes. Drive it around town running errands for a day or two and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    From what I understand it is also key cycles that affect those error codes. Drive it around town running errands for a day or two and see what happens.
    Yep I think Majik is correct!

Found the following, but never found anything Miata specific on how many drive cycles to reset everything.
    RUNNING AN OBDII DRIVE CYCLE

Suppose you’ve "fixed" an emissions problem on an OBDII-equipped vehicle. How can you check your work? By performing what’s called an "OBDII drive cycle."

The purpose of the OBDII drive cycle is to run all of the onboard diagnostics. The drive cycle should be performed after you’ve erased any trouble codes from the PCM’s memory, or after the battery has been disconnected. Running through the drive cycle sets all the system status "flags" so that subsequent faults can be detected.

The OBDII drive cycle begins with a cold start (coolant temperature below 122 degrees F and the coolant and air temperature sensors within 11 degrees of one another).

NOTE: The ignition key must not be on prior to the cold start otherwise the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

1. As soon as the engine starts, idle the engine in drive for two and a half minutes with the A/C and rear defrost on. OBDII checks oxygen sensor heater circuits, air pump and EVAP purge.

2. Turn the A/C and rear defrost off, and accelerate to 55 mph at half throttle. OBDII checks for ignition misfire, fuel trim and canister purge.

3. Hold at a steady state speed of 55 mph for three minutes.

OBDII monitors EGR, air pump, O2 sensors and canister purge.

4. Decelerate (coast down) to 20 mph without braking or depressing the clutch. OBDII checks EGR and purge functions.

5. Accelerate back to 55 to 60 mph at ¾ throttle. OBDII checks misfire, fuel trim and purge again.

6. Hold at a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for five minutes.

OBDII monitors catalytic converter efficiency, misfire, EGR, fuel trim, oxygen sensors and purge functions.

7. Decelerate (coast down) to a stop without braking. OBDII makes a final check of EGR and canister purge.
    Found the quote here -> http://hostingprod.com/@aa1car.com/library/us796obd.htm
    Last edited by POS Racing; 05-09-2006 at 09:24 PM. Reason: added more stuff!

Last time I needed to get pass the Not Ready yet codes it took me about 110 miles to clear it. FWIW

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

I've also been told, drive 80-100 miles and make sure to wait 48 hours before trying to pass again.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I don't think it's distance, but more related to number of drive cycles. I've cleared mine off in less than 100 miles with several 'trips'. Start the car, drive, park, repeat.

start it while its cold
    drive/ or let it warm up
    drive
    shut it off
    let it cool down

well, thats MY definition of a drive cycle. you can pass w/ 2 not readys fyi...

Chassis Designer

Default So much to say

Thank to all of you for the replies, I finally found a dealership that would give a little bit of info
    This pretains to a 96 Miata MX-5 only,I am not sure about any other make or model or so I understand
    Start car drive at 30 to 40 MPH get to operate temp drive a little 4- 5 miles then park turn switch off and allow to cool completely down most likely over night as everything has to be cold, Repeat this process at least 4 times within 4 straight days
    Now as I understand it the car can be driven further but is the number of times the key is turned on and off and the car warmed up and cooled down.
    I was told that other methods have been known to work but this is the correct way
    I did try the driving it for 100 miles or so and still have all 3 flags ,and but that does not mean it would not work the next time or won't work for someone else
    Hopefully getting closer to getting to male a few trips
    Thanks again

Why don't you get someone with an OBDII code reader to clear the codes? I have one if you're somewhere in the FW area.....
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Chassis Designer

Default so much to say

Mad,
    Thank you very much for the offer.
    This is not a code it is the READY -NOT READY flags that I am speaking of,anytime you disconnect the battery or disconnect the ECM then the system goes into a NOT READY state which says it does not see any of the things it is checking .
    Error codes which you are speaking of are malfunctions or a problem with what the ECM is checking
    Another thing is if you hook up any sort of scanner and even if there are no codes but you hit the clear button on the scanner it will throw up the not ready flags and once you do the correct drive cycle then these flags will clear , most scanners do not see these flags . You can hook a scanner up and check for code errors and even the scanners that will read the READY NOT READY FLAGS can be hooked up as long as you do not hit the clear code button yopu are fine and the flags will not be bothered
    Hope this helps
    I had mine checked to day and have only one NOT READY FLAG you are allowed 2 to pass state inspection ,so will hopefully get it done to morrow
    Believe me I have had a time with this car and have learned a lot about the emmissions
    Believe me I never knew these flags existed until the last few days and was really confused for a while about codes and flags {actually monitor ststus}
    again Thanks for the offer

theres about 20 things that could be "not ready" most of them go out really fast but some doesnt get checked every driving cycle, hence the need for multiple cycles....