Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flyin' Miata Open House Road trip- Aug. 17th - 20th

Default Flyin' Miata Open House Road trip- Aug. 17th - 20th

I will be making the drive to the Flyin' Miata Open House this year, and Treibenschnell has tentatively bailed as my co-driver. TurboDuane is also booked for the trip. I would love it if some other Miatas were interested in going along for the trip. Here is my plan at this point:

Thursday, 8/17: All day drive to Grand Junction, CO.
    Thursday Night: Event Registration
    Friday, 8/18: Track Day ($50)
    Friday night: Free Dinner at Sonic Drive-In
    Saturday, 8/19: Lots of different events offered, I suspect everyone will do a slightly different mix of things. I plan on the Pancake breakfast, parade,ECU Tuning Class, and the actual open house featuring product demos, test drives, tech talk, contests and secret prototypes.
    Saturday Night: Dinner, presentations and bench racing ($20)
    Sunday, 8/20: All day drive home.*

I am already booked at the Hampton Inn (The recommended hotel). I hope you come out and join us.

More info can be found here.

* I have also taken Monday, 8/21 off work, and I am considering breaking the drive home into 2 days. I figure adrenalin will carry us there just fine, but the trip home might be a little rough for a solo driver. If others end up joining me, we can take a vote on it.
    Last edited by Titus; 07-16-2006 at 04:15 PM.

Dude if you decide to go through Albuquerque, you guys could stay with my parents and drive up to FM from there. Just a thought, but I know my parents wouldn't mind the company. Ma and Pa haven't missed one yet.

As for me, if school districts would stop having the first day so early in August, I'd love to go.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie
    Dude if you decide to go through Albuquerque, you guys could stay with my parents and drive up to FM from there. Just a thought, but I know my parents wouldn't mind the company. Ma and Pa haven't missed one yet.

As for me, if school districts would stop having the first day so early in August, I'd love to go.
    No Idea which way I will go... I went to 3 map programs, and and got 2 drastically different routes:

Mapquest: Up and Over (Due North on 35 all the way to Kansas where you catch westbound I-70, 1110 boring miles).

Yahoo and Google: A Twisty B-line (287 to 87 to 25 to 160 to to 17 to 285 to 50. 950 perhaps not so boring miles)

As for you, Just ask for the time off!

If I wasn't in Africa then I would join you, but I have done both routes as far as Denver and the 287 one is my favorite, outside of the small towns with slow limits it is a fairly nice drive. Depending on Cops it is possible to get from Lewisville to CO Springs in 10 hours
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Quote Originally Posted by Magma
    If I wasn't in Africa then I would join you, but I have done both routes as far as Denver and the 287 one is my favorite, outside of the small towns with slow limits it is a fairly nice drive. Depending on Cops it is possible to get from Lewisville to CO Springs in 10 hours
    I'm actually not expecting a lot of real takers, but I wanted to put it out there just in-case. The audience gets a lot smaller when you consider most will need to take time off work and you will need to budget a chunk of change for hotel and gas. That said, It should be a memorable trip!

I tend to agree with you on routes. Anything has to be better than 400 miles on 35 followed by 700 miles on I-70.

I might want to go, there is enough time to prepare for it (save money) and talk the wife into it....lol
    99 Miata Black

Consider me in! Sounds cool, and I just got laid off from my brand new job, so time won't be an issue. I can just sleep in the car (save on Hotel bills), and draft Titus for better MPG

Contract work sucks!
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

I would love to take the Miata on the Million Dollar Highway between Silverton and Ouray CO. too bad I won't have any vacation time at my new job by then or I would join you. Of course then the wife would have to drive my truck.

OK guys... lets see some more DFWMiatas show up on the attendance list! Billy, Duane... If you guys are serious, sign on up!

OK, M/S put me back to work, and I've submitted my request for the time off. As soon as I get word from the boss, I'll know If I can make it. I expect it won't be a problem to take only 5 days off, as I think I'll need the Monday following the event as well.

I'm so ready to go!!!!
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane
    OK, M/S put me back to work, and I've submitted my request for the time off. As soon as I get word from the boss, I'll know If I can make it. I expect it won't be a problem to take only 5 days off, as I think I'll need the Monday following the event as well.

I'm so ready to go!!!!
    Congrats!

Default I'm signed up and Confirmed.

WooHoo, I can smell those Rockies allready. Get ready Titus, I feel a loooong road race coming up....hehe turbo vs. blown

We'll also have to have a MPG competiton as well.

So does anyone else want to join our journey? If you are half interested but scared by the cost, I suspect that there may be some co-driver/room share oportunities... Speak up!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    So does anyone else want to join our journey? If you are half interested but scared by the cost, I suspect that there may be some co-driver/room share oportunities... Speak up!

Say "hi" to my parents for me.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Sorry you had to cancel Titus. What about TurboDuane?
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie
    Sorry you had to cancel Titus. What about TurboDuane?
    I believe he is no the road.

I believe he is no the road.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    on

on
    Oh!

So why did you skip it Titus??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast