Thread: Network software that enables you to work from home...

Default Network software that enables you to work from home...

and use all of the resources at the office. I think that I saw it on "The Apprentice" but could not find it there.

Mrs. Monkey is expecting and I'm going to let her work from home for a while and need some software that would enable her to work from home.

Any ideas??
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Paging Mr. Tailchaser, Mr. Tailchaser please report to the blue courtesy phone!

I'd like to know the answer to this one also!

While waiting for TC's dissertation, I recommend you read up on VPN. (Virtual Private Network). I suspect it will be a good introduction to what TC will tell you.

Hey... that's what I get paid the big bucks for...

There are a number of alternatives and their viability and cost depend upon what other super cool toys you already have at the workplace.

The cheapest solution is Remote Desktop, which is built in to Windows XP Pro. But... there are security and firewall/NAT concerns at the workplace side that you'll have to address somehow.

The easiest solution is GoToMyPC or similar that "handles" the security/firewall concerns for you, but requires a subscription fee.

Note that either of the prior two solutions require a PC at the workplace that is dedicated to the employee who will be working from home.

If you have megabucks, Server based Remote Desktop or Citrix are the cats meow. You can have 16-40 people working off each server you deploy, depending upon the applications used. It's a licensing nightmare and probably not something you want to deploy yourself.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    If you have megabucks, Server based Remote Desktop or Citrix are the cats meow.
    Former Certified Citrix Administrator here. I set-up and managed an installation that stayed with-in the firewall and it was a big headache.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    The easiest solution is GoToMyPC or similar that "handles" the security/firewall concerns for you, but requires a subscription fee.
    These guys?

What about storing the needed document on the web?? That way if you knew the login and password you could access the required documents*

*Please keep in mind POS Racing is not a computer guy!

Suzan has VPN at our house that allows her access into the Pepsi system. She has to use a company laptop and a company router but it allows her to "sluff" some days in her jammies while she is bringing home de bacon.
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    These guys?

What about storing the needed document on the web?? That way if you knew the login and password you could access the required documents*

*Please keep in mind POS Racing is not a computer guy!
    Those guys.

There are thousands of ways to do it. It depends upon what kind of files you handle, volume of files, applications you use, etc. There's no single answer to what's the cheapest, most reliable and easy to use solution. For most small companies (<5 employees), GoToMyPC is going to be real close.

I can demo some web based applications that can be run with moderate security on public web servers that may be a good solution for your company, but to maintain ease of use, everyone will always work from the webserver... Not so cool if you handle LARGE (>1 MB) files on a regular basis and don't have high speed upstream connectivity to the Internet.

If you want the long answer and your name is in orange, buy me lunch sometime, and I'll be glad to spew it all out.
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Teacher
    Suzan has VPN at our house that allows her access into the Pepsi system. She has to use a company laptop and a company router but it allows her to "sluff" some days in her jammies while she is bringing home de bacon.
    Based on my understanding of the PepsiCo system, I could probably get that up and running at Mick's company for just a touch under $1.5 million... A little steep for a 3 man gig... Thanks for playing!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Teacher
    That's what we need.

The files that she would need to access are autocad files in the .5 meg size, a few pdf's and such. It would be cool if she could print to office, and use our hard drives.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Is go "tomypc" any good?

Here at "We make chips for cell phones"â„¢ are going that route. We use Cisco's VPN client and a package called i-Pass to manage the connections. It basically makes my laptop like I was in side the building. Full access to all shares/printers/network resources. It's pretty darn nice when you don't feel like going to wor... err... are really sick and can't make it in.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ataim
    Is go "tomypc" any good?
    It gets the job done?