Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FM Springs Question

Default FM Springs Question

So I notice they have changed the spring rates from what they once offered, anyone know why?? Or is it just a matter that's what the new supplier offers??

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    So I notice they have changed the spring rates from what they once offered, anyone know why?? Or is it just a matter that's what the new supplier offers??
    Apparently, they had problems with recent batches being shorter than the original specs, and also several cases of sagging over time. They went to a new supplier, and the new springs have the car sitting higher than the original spec. I believe with the added travel, they softened up the spring a little.

From FM's site:

Over the years, we've been selling a spring design that was unique to Flyin' Miata. The rates were stiff enough to keep a lowered car off the bump stops and the ride height was chosen to be both aggressive-looking and functional.
    However, the Miata market has changed over the years. Function takes a higher priority than ever before. That's something that suits us just fine as we prefer that sort of thing. Combined with a few batches of springs that were lower than our specification, we decided that it was time to rework our popular spring design.
    The spring rates were well chosen in our opinion. We settled on 318 lb/in front and 233 lb/in rear for the new parts. At the same time, we also raised the ride height specifications. When measured from the center of the wheel to the fender lip, the new springs will be approximately 13" in the front and 13.25" in the rear for a 1990-97 car. This is about 1/2" higher than the old springs were intended to be and as much as an inch higher than they sometimes ended up. The 1999-05 cars will be 12.5" in the front and 13" in the rear thanks to their greater suspension travel. The higher ride height will give the suspension more room to work, providing a better ride than before. This does not mean that our shock mounts are no longer required, but they're certainly not as necessary as before. The ride of our test car is similar to that of a stock 1996 we used for comparison.
    The new springs are also being manufactured in the US and we'll have an easier time dealing with any quality problems than the previous Swedish ones. The 1990-97 versions of the new springs are shipping now and the 1999-05 versions will follow in mid-May. We no longer have any of the old design.
    Along with the new springs, we're reintroducing the Tokico Illumina shock. It's a little more expensive than the popular AGX, but some think it's a better shock although it's more difficult to adjust. It's always had fans at FM but we were afraid the price would scare people off.

Link!

Question #2!
    FM States :
    Not recommended with stock shocks - the higher spring rates are too much for stock shocks to handle.
    Wonder if this would apply to a set of OEM Bilsteins??

Here you go.

(Sorry...That was the wrong thread. Try it now)

Link!

Question #2!
    FM States : Wonder if this would apply to a set of OEM Bilsteins??
    Always looking for the TCB way?
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Quote Originally Posted by Ataim
    Always looking for the TCB way?
    Well Duh!

Well Duh!
    Yea but that's on NA.............
    Bite me Miata boy.

By the way, I don't think the new NB springs have begun to ship, so it might be difficult finding any real-world experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Bite me Miata boy.

By the way, I don't think the new NB springs have begun to ship, so it might be difficult finding any real-world experience.
    But But But.........

But But But.........
    Sorry Sparky.

Well on to plan B........

Well on to plan B........
    You might want to call their Tech Line. It is Mid-May, so they may have them. In addition, the NA and NB should be close enough to answer the Bilstein question.

You might want to call their Tech Line. It is Mid-May, so they may have them. In addition, the NA and NB should be close enough to answer the Bilstein question.
    I really don't want to be the first on my street to try the newest springs, may let a bit of time pass.....

I really don't want to be the first on my street to try the newest springs, may let a bit of time pass.....
    Wait for it.....

Here it comes...

Wait for it.....
    Important fact, not for my car.

Important fact, not for my car.
    Oh come on... We all know that you are going to brake down and buy her the NC one of these days, and the '02 will become your sunny day driver.

Oh come on... We all know that you are going to brake down and buy her the NC one of these days, and the '02 will become your sunny day driver.
    Nopie more than likely the '02 will be the trade in on the NC.

Nopie more than likely the '02 will be the trade in on the NC.
    Then why waist time and money swapping the '02 springs? How long are you planning on waiting before the trade-in?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast