Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruined a set of tires

Default Ruined a set of tires

Got an alignment a little over a year ago with spec recommendations of the board and performed at the shop in Ft Worth. The tires have 12000 miles on them and have been rotated at the 6K interval. I noticed this weekend that they have gone bald in the very inside walls of all 4 tires. I didn't like the tires anyways (Ecsta ASX) but was the alignment too radical? Any suggestions on specs for the new set of rubber?
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Obviously, you have too much camber. What do you mean by "spec recommendations"?
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Wow 12,000 miles doesn't seem all that bad to me.

But I agree with Madmerv, what alignment did you do? Lanny's??

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    Obviously, you have too much camber. What do you mean by "spec recommendations"?
    Camber by itself is not always the culprit. Combine excesive camber with aggressive toe settings, and you'll scuff the tread off of the inside of the tires very quickly.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I wish I could remember the specs but the paperwork has gotten "misplaced."

If I start all over again and get an alignment that would compliment my style of driving (enter Bean in 3...2..1...) what would be a suggestion? I am looking at a prvious tire thread on the board for suggestions on tire selection.
    Last edited by Tim the Teacher; 04-24-2006 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Teacher
    ...enter Bean in 3...2..1...
    Nothing here...

But I will say that 12K out of a set of tires that are driven hard is not that bad of a deal...

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Nothing here...

But I will say that 12K out of a set of tires that are driven hard is not that bad of a deal...
    If it's all on the inside of the tires, it's not being driven hard..........just a bad alignment
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Well...I got the alignment at Peterson's in Fort Worth. Maybe I should go to Sears next time???? j/k

Well...I got the alignment at Peterson's in Fort Worth. Maybe I should go to Sears next time???? j/k
    I've had 3 Peterson alignments with no tire wear issues. The last one being 12 months ago- probably due for another actually.

Quote Originally Posted by joe.MIATA
    I've had 3 Peterson alignments with no tire wear issues. The last one being 12 months ago- probably due for another actually.
    I think the problem Tim is having is that he's got all that camber, but he never drives faster than 25 mph... Just a thought.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    I think the problem Tim is having is that he's got all that camber, but he never drives faster than 25 mph... Just a thought.
    No slam intended, but I think a more stock alignment would better suit his use of the car.

I've recommended the same to Clovis before I drive his car again
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Peterson's does a great and accurate job. Probably the specs given were just too aggressive for everyday driving. Just tell Jim you want a stock allignment.
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark52
    Peterson's does a great and accurate job. Probably the specs given were just too aggressive for everyday driving. Just tell Jim you want a stock allignment.
    At Peterson's, when given the choice between an 'extreme' or 'mild' alignment, I always choose 'medium.'

I guess I need the more "tame" alignment. Any suggestions for someone around Frisco/Plano?

I got the Icehawk alignment right after the FM suspension almost a year ago... after over 15k the already year old tires at the time tires still have surprisingly even wear & still have relatively good tread on them. But I thrash the hell out of the car any chance I get...I guess its all in how you drive.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

im sure it was all in the toe settings. the other alignment tech runs 3 degrees neg on his del sol w/ no inner tire wear. i run 1.5 and 2 degrees negative.... there a chance you had the toe out too far... i bet you also have a really crisp turn in right now if it is the toe..

The only other solution would be to "FLIP" the tires after 8-9K, but given the cheap nature of your tire selection, it might cost as much to flip in the long run.

As discussed earlier, it's either toe or camber. Set the alignment for the way the car is DRIVEN not how the DRIVER wants it to be.

Even for the race car, if I need to do a lot of driving back and forth to the track I set the alignmnent to something less than full throttle.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

I am looking at the Hankook K106 for $51 at onlinetires.com The shipping sucks though. Anybody have any experiences with these?

I am looking at the Hankook K106 for $51 at onlinetires.com The shipping sucks though. Anybody have any experiences with these?
    Yup.

They've got somewhere between 15 and 18k miles on them, still at 5/32 depth. Stick in a straight line is comparable to the Yoko ES100/Kumho 712. They tolerate my alignment settings very well - wear is even on the street.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

onlinetires.com 262.00 (no valve stems, includes shipping)
    discounttiredirect 311.00 (valve stems and shipping)

Any experiences with onlinetires.com good or bad?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast