Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody know a good accident/injury lawyer?

Default Anybody know a good accident/injury lawyer?

Preferably Arlington/Irving/Las Colinas area... Long story, but I'm ok (lower back hurts, so I'm going to see a doc), car might not be... Taxi minivan hit a Grand Cherokee at speed and sent the Grand Cherokee into my right rear and door. My lower back was sore shortly after and well, the taxi might be uninsured. He even had his manager riding with him, and he didn't have the ins. info either.
    Last edited by Adam Payrot; 06-02-2006 at 08:43 AM.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Ouch... sorry to hear that.. hope the back pains don't linger.

On the bright side, You may be able to replace that Honduh with a proper Miata!

Real sorry to hear about that Adam.
    Dont sign anything, wait til you are sure nothing is wrong even if the Dr's tell you that nothing is wrong, sometimes these things take months before you know the extent of possible damage.
    I made one of the biggest mistakes of my life by not filing suit after a wreck cause the Dr's thought I was ok and I did too, and I suffer daily from it.
    Good luck on finding a good attourney, is the car totalled?
    Again real sorry to hear, best of luck.
    99 Miata Black

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Sorry to hear that. Hope everything works out for the best.

Not sure if the car is totalled, but there is frame damage. The hit doesn't look too bad, until you start looking at the damage to the frame. The rear suspension is connected to the frame more towards the middle. If it's totalled, it's because there is damage to that area. That rear wheel has about 3" of toe to it...

'02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Wow... I'm going to guess totaled, because they should be able to get a good price for it from a dismantler. Please tell me you sprung for the GAP insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Wow... I'm going to guess totaled, because they should be able to get a good price for it from a dismantler. Please tell me you sprung for the GAP insurance?
    No, yea yea, call me stupid. BUT, my car is less than 6 months old; one of the ins. companies is AllState (if it's the lady's fault), and they cut a check for the CURRENT replacement cost of any car under 3 years old. My payoff amount is right at what another Type S would cost after TT&L, so I will break even on that. The downside to it being totalled is that my bank account is at $0 and I don't really have a way of getting another car financed right now.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

To push them over the edge into totaling it (assuming that would be your preference), bring up Diminished Value compensation. Some good information HERE.

To push them over the edge into totaling it (assuming that would be your preference), bring up Diminished Value compensation. Some good information HERE.
    Thanks for the info, AJ reminded me that our old boss got that for his car, and I definitely plan to seek it for all that I can. Time to print that out and add it to my growing stack of paperwork. After getting screwed on my first Miata's wreck (I didn't know any better), I am NOT letting the insurance company screw me over again.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot
    No, yea yea, call me stupid. BUT, my car is less than 6 months old; one of the ins. companies is AllState (if it's the lady's fault), and they cut a check for the CURRENT replacement cost of any car under 3 years old. My payoff amount is right at what another Type S would cost after TT&L, so I will break even on that. The downside to it being totalled is that my bank account is at $0 and I don't really have a way of getting another car financed right now.
    That sucks... GAP is about the only thing I will spring for adding to the bill when buying a new car.

That sucks... GAP is about the only thing I will spring for adding to the bill when buying a new car.
    Gap Insurance from my understanding basically just guarantees the loan will get paid off..... Am I misinformed??

Sorry to hear about your troubles Adam.....

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Gap Insurance from my understanding basically just guarantees the loan will get paid off..... Am I misinformed??
    Yes... Gap insurance takes car of any GAP between what the insurance company pays out and what is owed. You buy a new $25k car, paying say $27.5k with TTL. Say you put $2500 down and finance $25k. 6 months later, you total it. Most insurance companies will only spring for the used market value.. say $21k. You have only made payments to the bank for 6 months, so the depreciation of the vehicle is ahead of your payments. You are going to get that check, sign the whole thing over to the bank, and still owe them around 3 grand. You don't have the car as collateral anymore, so they are going to call the loan. You need to scramble for 3 grand to pay off the bank before any other bank will lend to you to get into a replacement car. It gets really bad for people that have rolled over a previous balance from the car they traded in to get the car they totaled.

Ah great explanation!

We have a similar setup where we have a box hidden at home with in it for bailing Vivid out of Jail (again), we could use that to pay the difference!

I could really see how that would get down right ugly for someone who rolled over a old car into the new car loan.......

Yeah, I meant to get GAP, but they didn't mention it and I forgot to ask.... BUT, I reviewed my paperwork, and my uncle (he cosigned) accidentally signed in the spot where you sign up for GAP...
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot
    Yeah, I meant to get GAP, but they didn't mention it and I forgot to ask.... BUT, I reviewed my paperwork, and my uncle (he cosigned) accidentally signed in the spot where you sign up for GAP...
    That's good!

Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad you are okay. That just sucks, you finally get your nice new car and being in the wrong place at the wrong time minding your own business screws it up. Hope your back feels better, get $$ for that.....
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

sorry to hear that buddy. i didnt get to throw up in that one yet.

Just an update... Friday night I found out that the taxi driver was at fault. I have a name, number, pics of his vehicle that I took show his unit number and license plate, and I also have a name and number to contact tomorrow at the taxi company to find out insurance info.

I am in a rental, a 06 Grand Prix.... but I only have it until tomorrow evening, I went through my insurance coverage for rental and they issued an "emergency" rental for me, that was nice of them.

Tomorrow I see a doctor, everybody was filled up on Friday. I met with the attorney's office yesterday and filled out all the paperwork. They will be handling the injury, depreciation, and inconvenience side of things.

My back is still sore though, it's fairly uncomfortable pretty much 24 hours a day. I can't even lay down without it throbbing Just sitting in the rental for 5 minutes was unbearable, those seats really suck in it.

Anyways, I'll give another update tomorrow after I speak to the taxi's insurance. This whole ordeal is really throwing my vacation plans off, I was going to drive my RSX to Florida next month, and the longer everything takes, the less of a chance that's going to happen (I figure at least 3 weeks repair time for my car).
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Just a short update.... It's been hell trying to get anything out of the taxi company, I have a few numbers and names but they are always "out of the office". My insurance company and attorney haven't had any luck either.

I authorized my company to go ahead and pay for the car to be fixed. It's either going to cost me $500 or 250, 250 if it's an uninsured claim, or 500 if they have to go after the taxi company.

Went to the doctor, it's a ligament in my back that's hurting like hell. Can't type too much longer, as I just got my RX filled and damn the drugs they gave me are good *drugged* Looks like it will be a few weeks before I'm healed, if I'm not feeling better by the end of this week, the doc said that I'd need to come back and they'd have to find another way to fix me.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast