Thread: Engine swap question

Default Engine swap question

I'm keeping the red beast and am thinking of doing the 1.8 swap and was wondering how long it might take to do the swap if you have everything you are suppost to have to do it?
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

Quote Originally Posted by driftdevil
    I'm keeping the red beast and am thinking of doing the 1.8 swap and was wondering how long it might take to do the swap if you have everything you are suppost to have to do it?
    With everything needed on hand (including a couple sets of extra hands), you should be able to do it in under 8 hours. Some good discussions on it here.

Somewhat related, is your bike back or replaced? I wouldn't count on doing this over the weekend and driving again Monday. If you don't have another means of transportation, Murphy will bite.

The bike is gone and not coming back. I'll probably get everything together and then wait to do it when I get another one or if I swipe another car from one of my family members.

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M

I put a 97 motor in my 90 and it was hardly more work than installing another 1.6. Just get the coil/throttle cable brackets and throttle body adapter from FM and everything else you re-use from the 1.6. If you decide to do it, I recommend using the 1.8 water neck/intake tube or custom intake tube as the 1.6 barely fits after removing some fan support material for clearance. Let me know if you want to check out my car to see exactly what I'm talking about.

If you're going to replace the motor, I'd do the 1.8 swap. Love the extra power and yes it is noticable!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

If ya need a place to do it... I have a driveway... and an engine hoist.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Sweet! It'll be alittle while but I'll get with ya when I get ready. I'm thinking about picking up a shortblock from BEAT racing and redoing it and then doing a head or just buying a complete motor and then going through it.

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M

I live in lewisville, and have done many, many vw swaps. I'd love to help out. Coming from vr6 and 1.8t swaps, I'd love to do a swap without pulling both harnesses out and drawing up 3 diagrams.

[email protected]

Get a motor from a junkyard, for $200. do a compression test, leak it, then determine if you need to freshed up the motor for another $200 before you put it in.

Seriously, call me up, I need to get in on this. I have a garage spot in my apartment, but all my tools are inaccessible.