Thread: Stereo upgrade time

Default Stereo upgrade time

Time to upgrade the stereo in the Miata. My unamplified Blaupunkts are blown. Also, it's hard to hear it with the top down.

Please share your thoughts or offer alternatives. Also, where is the best (cheapest?) place to get car stereo gear. I've looked on eBay but I'm concerned about scammers. Some of their prices are awesome. Too good to be true?

Here are my initial ideas.
    In the doors: Polk Audio MMC 6500 <--click

4-ch Amp: Alpine MRP-F450 <--click

If funds allow I may also change out me HU
    I like the Alpine CDA-9856 <--click for it's iPod interface. I just wish it had switchable illumination.

Later, I want to get a footwell 8" sub. (This is the reason for the 4-ch amp above) A local shop (Earmark) said they've made them for the Miata. They want $400 including install and the JBL woofer. Good deal?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Well, based on where your links are from, I think you nailed the "where" part... Crutchfield consistantly has very good pricing and (most importantly) have a very good customer support group. I've been using them on and off for almost 15 years now.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

I have the Alpine 9843 in my "Tuner Car" AKA Civic Ex and I like it....
    In my opinion ....It doesn't matter how much you spend...with the top down going very fast you loose alot of quality...at least with these old ears...
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

I love anything from Boston Acoustics. I've had 2 different pairs of speakers for my cars and love them. One of the best sound per dollar IMO, without spending top dollar for top of the line speakers.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

The BAs are on my "must listen to" list. I love their home stuff.
    ...and across the line.

You should take a listen at my 4 6½inch PPI coaxials running off two channels of my 300/4 JL audio amp. PPI 650C component coaxial, they have a built in crossover and all that and have the cripest sounds I've heard. plus you can pick up a pair of those suckers for around $160 since they're a year or two old.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=16565

I had a DVC 10 in the cab of my miata... and I don't anymore... too much mess with little payoff.

I got a brand new Alpine A2002T amp that I haven't been using, sitting in the box never been taken out.
    http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3697815
    that one that I could let go for $80 if you're interested. The advertised wattages are 50x2 or 200x1 at 4 ohms, but it supports going down to 2ohms, so I don't understand why they don't advertise it as 100x2 or 400x1. definately enough to rattle some door speakers though.
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    Later, I want to get a footwell 8" sub. (This is the reason for the 4-ch amp above) A local shop (Earmark) said they've made them for the Miata. They want $400 including install and the JBL woofer. Good deal?
    how does $100 sound for a 350 watt kenwood bridgable amp?
    let me know if this interests you...

Make a mold of the footwell and fiberglass your own enclosure, total cost would be a bit less then $100. saves you $300 for 2 12" MTX's for your trunk, lol.

Hell, pay me 400 and i'll make you a custom one...

cheers...
    Last edited by Mouglie; 06-18-2006 at 11:47 PM.
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    The BAs are on my "must listen to" list. I love their home stuff.
    I have the middle grade BA's in my car. Maybe lunch again soon and you can give'em a listen.

Oh yeah, as for making custom box...my buddy made his own out of plexiglass and some wood. Covered it with some nice vinyl and viola! Good enough to win one of those competions last year and easier than messing with fibreglass.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

I have to throw in my support for Boston Acoustics as well. I've enjoyed them in three of my recent vehicles in both coax and component forms. They have great, soft-dome tweets that won't wear out your ears like some other sets I've heard (MB Quart, older Infinity).

Since you've been to Earmark, you know they're a dealer for this line. You might also check out Tweeter to compare prices.
    Next time you hit Earmark, take a listen to the Dynaudio comps. They're superb, but definitely not on the cheap side.

Polk is a pretty decent brand for the money, though I've not spent much time with them. Also decent for a cheapish price are some of the JL Audio components, though I'm sure any uber audiophile would kick my rump for saying such a thing.

You can also check out CDT's classic components, which are fairly priced. I've never heard them but have read some very positive reviews.

As to purchase locations, Earmark is not the cheap place to buy audio. They earn their install and tuning costs, definitely, and the salespeople are pretty well versed in their product lines. Prices are on par with other local retailers for the most part. The Addison location has a cabinet of specials that often has some cool goodies. Perhaps the Plano location near you does as well?
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

It has been 15 years since I was serious in car stereo, but I won several car stereo trophies running MB Quarts. I found the tweeters a little bright at first so we removed the metal grills, rapped them in a thin speaker cloth, and slipped them back on. It really helped to soften the sound. At the time I went back and forth between the BAs and the MBQs, but the problems that the BA tweeters were having at the time with the neo magnets fading over time lead me to decide on the MBQs. I would assume that BA has resolved their magnet issues by now.

I got a PM asking me for an update on this. Here is the latest.

I'm sticking with my current Sony HU as there is nothing wrong with it. The HU will eventually get replaced possibly with a Alpine 9857.

I ordered the Alpine amp I mentioned above. I also ordered Streetwires amp and RCA cables.

As for speakers I got some Boston Acoustic SL60 Components for the doors.

Future plans include adding some DA to improve sound and cut down on some noise and heat. In fact, I will likely do this before I install the equipment as I already have plans to swap out my carpet anyway.

I also plan on going with a custom footwell sub from Earmark with a 8" woofer.

The only other plan might be upgrading my headrest speakers but the PO installed some Blaupunkt 3 1/2" that are serving me ok for now.
    ...and across the line.

Since we're talking stereos here, does anyone make a reasonably priced stereo that auto adjusts the volume as my factory stereo does?
    To do list: carpet X1, seatcovers X1

97' Green M Edition

▄︻┻┳═一