Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perfect! Now I can make my 2 car garage a 3 car garage

Default Perfect! Now I can make my 2 car garage a 3 car garage

Dieter Zetsche came to Detroit today to announce some pretty big news... not so much that SMART is coming to the U.S. (that was the worst kept secret of June 2006), but rather that Roger Penske and UnitedAuto Group Inc. will be the one doing the honors.

The SMART ForTwo will be offered in the States starting in 2008, giving DaimlerChrysler enough time to get the vehicle's safety ratings up to snuff. The automaker expects to unload 20,000 units a year -- an aggressive goal given the fact that SMART currently sells 40,000 units in 36 countries per year. The car will go head-to-head with BMW's MINI brand, which will be redesigned for the 2007 model year.

Penske owns UnitedAuto Group Inc., the second-largest dealer group in the United States.

Sweet! Now bring the Cross Blade version too...

S.

head-to-head with BMW's MINI brand

I thought that the Smart was a lot smaller than Mini, and focused on economy compared to the performance oriented Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus

I thought that the Smart was a lot smaller than Mini, and focused on economy compared to the performance oriented Mini.
    I agree. That line confuses me too. I would think this would take sales away from the YariFit crowd, if anything. Then again, it will be premium priced, so who knows?

S.

If Mini was to build a car the size of the original they could go head-to-head, but the current Mini dwarfs the Smart. I think it's just an ignorant reporter making a statement on something he doesn't really know.

I've seen some Smarts in person, they would make a great city car but I'd be a little scared to drive one on the highways here.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I see Smart cars down here quite often... they are norwhere NEAR the size of a mini... (at least not teh 2 door one, the 4 door is getting closer)

given that fact.. I agree they'd make a good city car, but you wouldn't last 30seconds on 635 in a frikken SMART car...

(personally my favorite is the pink one emblazoned with Barbie graphics all over the side. I see that one, and it's driver at least a couple times a week)

SMART MODELS LINK
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Hey, Matt! Where'd you cut & paste that article from? Give the moron that wrote it some credit, and all!

Interesting differences found by reading the Reuters release as it appeared on Autoweek.com...

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1508/makeview

Like 40k units in Italy, not 40k units in all 36 countries where Smarts are sold... I'm dying to know where that came from.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

BTW, forget the crossblade, how bout the roadster! Cool car.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Well here are some different numbers from this source:

Last year worldwide, Smart sold 143,000 cars, a small increase from the 139,000 it sold in 2004. It produced 124,300 cars in the same period, down from 152,100 the previous year.

And more importantly,

Smart will sell the next generation of its "fortwo" model, which has been popular in Europe. It gets an average of 40 miles per gallon in combined city-highway driving and will sell for less than $15,000. The company says it can get up to 69 mpg on the highway.

I think that price point gives it a much better chance of succeeding than the Zap federalized version that ran in the 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    I'll second that.
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

yeah- the roadster- now that is a NEAT car!! autotragic only though
    Last edited by RX7-2nr; 06-28-2006 at 04:10 PM.

all 82hp of it!

698cc Turbo 3cyl )

10.9sec 0-100km too.. its' a scorcher! (and yet I can't locate a price?)

there's a dealer about 45min from here here in Tampico...
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!

since when were miata guys all about the car with the most power. im sure its still a blast to drive.

The roadster was discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    all 82hp of it!

698cc Turbo 3cyl )

10.9sec 0-100km too.. its' a scorcher! (and yet I can't locate a price?)

there's a dealer about 45min from here here in Tampico...
    I'm sure it's still a blast to drive, but if power is a problem, that's what boost controllers are for. Add forged internals, 20psi, and a lot of fuels, should make for a really fun car.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I'm sure it's still a blast to drive, but if power is a problem, that's what boost controllers are for. Add forged internals, 20psi, and a lot of fuels, should make for a really fun car.

probably makes our cars look like fat heavy pigs too!
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!

here a link to a Brabus modified Roadster with a 1.4L twin turbo V6 that produces 168hp and 162ft-lbs.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...abus_roadster/

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    probably makes our cars look like fat heavy pigs too!
    The Roadster has been discontinued. The MG brand might be revived and sell a version of it, but for now it's dead.

It also only came with an incredibly irritating slushbox, so I wouldn't have wanted one on those grounds alone.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    The Roadster has been discontinued. The MG brand might be revived and sell a version of it, but for now it's dead.

It also only came with an incredibly irritating slushbox, so I wouldn't have wanted one on those grounds alone.

S.
    Amazingly, that's already been covered. Trying for a repeat at stupidest post ever?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Amazingly, that's already been covered. Trying for a repeat at stupidest post ever?
    That'll leave a mark. BTW Shrivy, do you even own a Miata?

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    That'll leave a mark. BTW Shrivy, do you even own a Miata?

There's one parked in my garage right now.

S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast