Thread: Fact or Fiction

Default Fact or Fiction

Heard a rumor that you shouldn't replace break pads and rotors at the same time.

Believe it? Why or why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Bell
    Heard a rumor that you shouldn't replace break pads and rotors at the same time.

Believe it? Why or why not?
    Hmmm... well used rotors are often turned, making the contact surface like new before new pads are thrown on. This practice would seem bad per your rumor.

Perhaps a call to MythBusters is in order!

It has to do with proper bedding and lots of smoke and mirrors. It's not rumor... It's religion!
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I have changed rotors and pads at the same time many times, I have also replaced drums and brake shoes at the same time! I agree with Titus a turned rotor has a new surface already, not sure what mystical advantage would be gained by not changing everything out at the same time.

Maybe Tailchaser could expound on his above statement I got a feeling it has more to do with race car setup than a street car.

I'll say again.. it sounds like a perfect one for submission to MythBusters... They eat this sort of thing up.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Wouldn't two perfectly milled surfaces make better/consistent contact compared to one that is and one that's not?

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Maybe Tailchaser could expound on his above statement I got a feeling it has more to do with race car setup than a street car.
    I run the risk of execution for heresy as it is... But... I was merely indicating my opinion that brake bedding is a religion not a science. Mythbusters sounds like a great idea.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton