Thread: Need help protecting the kids from Chester the Molester.

Default Need help protecting the kids from Chester the Molester.

Need a recommendation for Kid Safe Internet blocking software. (Free would be ideal) I have Norton Internet Security with Parental Controls but it still allowed them to see stuff they shouldn't have seen.

I'd also like to prevent them access to install anything or print anything to the local printer. They go to free online games sites and that crap loves to install junk on the PC. I have XP Media Edition. The profile for user accounts of Administrator and Limited is rather vague.

Any help would be appreciated.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Just read a good article in Wired on the topic. Basically says that any half-intelligent kid is going to be able to figure out your blocking software and circumvent it. Said it's probably best to keep the computer in a public space in the house, install keylogging and be SURE the kid knows its on there. That in itself should enough deterance.

I gave my copy away, but you might want to grab a copy and see what they did recommend for locking it down for apps and such..
    '99 FMII + everything (sold!)
    '97 FMII (previously)

Set the kids as "limited" or "guest" users. Thay can only change their picture (no big) and set there own password; use "Family" or something like that so every body knows it. Shoefly is correct. Most kids can get by things. But that will leave changes to the computer you should be able to see; history deleted when you don't delete it, things left in the Program Files, stuff like that. The biggest thing is to make sure your kids know you are putting a (or a couple) of controls on the box. Some are free, most don't cost more than a dinner out. Get a key stroker, It will tell you every key that has been touched. You can recieve daly emails of your computers use. The big thing will be what you do if, and when (boys are boys) they try to get around it. It's a mess on the Internet.
    This gives a good overall review of what's out there. This place has tons of stuff, every price range.
    Remember, if you set up to recieve daly emails of your computer use, it will track what YOU are looking at to!!
    My old 99' My new 99'
    Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Ubuntu Linux takes care of the "install" problem. Install Dansguardian and squid from there and you'll have some great tools for filtering - that aren't just using out of date block lists.

The easiest way to try it can be found here:

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/6898

The only 100% protection is 100% supervision.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Keep an eye on Internet history, search through the temporary internet files (pics and pages will stay viewable for a while), do searches for anything you suspect, making sure to include hidden and system files... and keep an eye on them unlike most parents in this day and age
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Go Amish! That would solve your problems!