Thread: Shift troubles...

Default Shift troubles...

Well, it seems a new headache is coming...

Recently, up-shifting from third to fourth and down-shifting fifth to fourth, the shifter won't exactly engage... I nail the clutch and up/down shift and have to doulbe clutch just to engage the right gear. So it goes like this:

Third Gear -

Nearing red line -

Clutch, shift, oh crap -

Clutch again, shift again, and then bingo, it works -

It's the same going up or down... it happens only at freeway speeds.

Any ideas?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Check your slave cylinder. Under the fender well on the passenger side. Squeeze the rubber boot and see if there is fluid in there.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Check your slave cylinder. Under the fender well on the passenger side. Squeeze the rubber boot and see if there is fluid in there.
    Dang ya beat me to it! I also think you could be having a slave cylinder issue!

Chassis Designer

also make sure your gear oil is good. i you speed shift that gear a lot (don't lie) you might have worn your syncronizers (or however you spell that). that's the problem that i have in second now. if you dump your gear oil and it has a whole lot of metal dust in it (in particular a brass looking stuff) there's a good chance it is your syncros. i'm no expert at this, this is just my understanding of all this.
    See profile for more details: 14.56 @ 94.89 on 50 shot. 2.18- 60', 9.40 @ 75.52- 1/8.

Quote Originally Posted by bio243
    also make sure your gear oil is good. i you speed shift that gear a lot (don't lie) you might have worn your syncronizers (or however you spell that). that's the problem that i have in second now. if you dump your gear oil and it has a whole lot of metal dust in it (in particular a brass looking stuff) there's a good chance it is your syncros. i'm no expert at this, this is just my understanding of all this.
    I just switched the tranny, turret, and pumpkin oils to Redline... I can rule that out.

Chassis Designer

cool wish i could afford to do the same
    See profile for more details: 14.56 @ 94.89 on 50 shot. 2.18- 60', 9.40 @ 75.52- 1/8.

Actually, it wasn't all that pricey.... for what one would spend at a quickeee-lube type place for the top treatment, and some elbow grease, it's very affordable. TC turned me on to a place off of 75 that sells Redline at very decent prices... let's see if he chimes in anytime soon!

Chassis Designer

i'd appreciate that. last time i did it i put mobil one full synthetic (i like synthetics) gear oil in it. it's probably about time for me to change it.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

If you don't want to spring for Redline, you can use Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil instead (Autozone carries it). Cost around $25 if you DIY.

But for the love of Pete, please put the crush washer back on before you refill the tranny...

Don't ask how I now.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Hey BEAN, when you drained the tranny did you actually look at the oil? When mine went bad, it looked like oil with charcoal suspended in the bottom half of the milk jug and I never speed shifted this one before or after the overhaul.

Thank God it was under warranty.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Yup, in fact, I was showing off to whomever was near and asking if they thought there were any issues. The consensus was that it was definetly used oil but not abused. I hope it's not a syncro issue..

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Did you check the slave yet? Also check your clutch linkage. Both are easy fixes.

When you change the oil out in the tranny & diff, don't forget to clean off the magnetic piece of the drain plugs.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Actually, it wasn't all that pricey.... for what one would spend at a quickeee-lube type place for the top treatment, and some elbow grease, it's very affordable. TC turned me on to a place off of 75 that sells Redline at very decent prices... let's see if he chimes in anytime soon!
    Redline MT-90 (not MTL unless you want to hire a gorilla to engage first this winter) in the tranny and 75-90 in the diff cost the SAME as the quality synthetics at Autozone - that doesn't mean you can't save a few $$$ if you buy other quality synthetics elsewhere...

You can pick Redline up locally at ??? "Racing" on 75 just north of 15th street on the southbound service road in Plano, from Mr. Shuhart at Track Dog Racing (I think he has MT-90 now...) or various performance shops for $7.50 a quart or less.

Chassis Designer

dang...7.50 is cheaper than i spent on the mobil 1 synthetic that i put in it last time.

Did you check the slave yet? Also check your clutch linkage. Both are easy fixes.
    On the slave, I'm checking for fluid in the boot.... so what do I do if there is none? And as for the linkage, what am I looking for there? Thanks!

On the slave, I'm checking for fluid in the boot.... so what do I do if there is none? And as for the linkage, what am I looking for there? Thanks!
    Do you have a Service Manual Manuel? :P

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Redline MT-90 (not MTL unless you want to hire a gorilla to engage first this winter) in the tranny and 75-90 in the diff cost the SAME as the quality synthetics at Autozone - that doesn't mean you can't save a few $$$ if you buy other quality synthetics elsewhere...
    I'm probably in the minority here (suprise ), but I preferred the Mobil 1 synthetic oil in the tranny & diff to Redline fluids. And yes, I used MT-90 and not MTL.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Do you have a Service Manual Manuel? :P
    I'll check the manual, Manuel!