Thread: Lap Belt - Questions

Default Lap Belt - Questions

OK here is my plan tell me if this makes any sense!

I want to get a lap belt, so I can cinch my lard butt in the seat.

I'm currently using the twist the belt method with my OEM seat belt, which works but is inconsistent. Since I don't (currently) have a roll bar in the POS Racer, I can't (& won't) do a five-point setup.

I know on my ’92 with the OEM belts attached to the floor (and not the seat) that I can put eyelet bolts on both sides for mounting. Then just clip in the belt for AX’s and run the OEM when the car is in wine & cheese mode. This setup would be legal for stock wouldn't it? Would the eyelet bolts cause any interference problems with the seat travel.

And finally where would one find a cheap lap belt?

Mick

You shouldn't have any interference problems at all.

There is a good thread on the pointy board right now about lap belts. Sounds like actor found a source for $5 surplus aircraft lap belts - that ought to appeal to the self-appointed "King of Cheap"! :P

Iain
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

POS,
    One alternate method of strapping in is something that occured to me at the end of last season. Being that I am always flopping around (while driving), I would 'lock' my shoudler belt as tight as possible. This was just adequate though. I found that I could slide out from under the shoulder belt, let in retract as much as possible, then quickly 'lock' it. From there, I would carefully squeeze, scrunch and ooze my way back into (under) the shoulder belt.
    The difference in movement was from alot to 'none.' I drove my last two autoX's last year very secure in the car and loved it. It felt like a harness.

Since I still do not have a rollbar, this is my remedy. Give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by joe.MIATA
    Since I still do not have a rollbar, this is my remedy. Give it a try.
    I'll have to give that a try, but I tend to lean into the corners, does this trap your upper torso also?

See me lean....

I also utilize the twisted belt method- this tends to keep the CG planted.
    By locking the shoulder harness and then sliding underneath it, that keeps the torso from moving around- at least it does mine. I wasn't kidding when I said ,My eyes really do that AND it is hard to breathe. Sounds like great fun, huh?

Also, since the belt is twisted at the latch, it keeps the belt from loosening as you drive.

If found complete harnesses on E-bay, like this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2459900188

What does on look for in a decent harness?

What mfg. date would be acceptable? I figure I can buy the entire harness and just use the lap belt until such a time I can use the rest of the set.

What do you guys think!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

ball of duct tape - sticky side out - between the headrest and helmet. If your head stays in place, your body won't move far.

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    ball of duct tape - sticky side out - between the headrest and helmet. If your head stays in place, your body won't move far.
    Nah I don't what a Hanz device I want a lap belt!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    What mfg. date would be acceptable? I figure I can buy the entire harness and just use the lap belt until such a time I can use the rest of the set.

What do you guys think!
    I don't know if the SCCA has any rules for Solo II, but for Club Racing they require the harness to be less than 5 (?) years old, and that standard will soon be changing to three years, iirc.

Iain
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Mick, just to let you know, there is a place here in town, Bobby Archers German motorworks. They sell the eye bolts. From what I have heard, all hardware, that is belt related is the same thread pitch and size. I have a 5point harness in my car, and for the left side, I just threaded the old bolt out and the new eye bolt in. For the right, since I have a 99, I had to drill a hole in the tranny tunnel for an eyebolt and backing plate. Hope this helps.

POS,
    I found this nifty little device, FYI...

http://www.cg-lock.com/

Quote Originally Posted by joe.MIATA
    POS,
    I found this nifty little device, FYI...

http://www.cg-lock.com/
    I've seen that cg-lock it looks cool, I'm on the e-mail list they will e-mail you when the get them in stock.

I've also found this for $47.95

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    I've also found this for $47.95
    I went ahead and ordered this lab belt; they gave you a 8 color choices so I went with yellow.

Look what I got today!

Cooooool!
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

That should go a long way toward promoting workplace safety... Hope no safety-nazis get any ideas seeing a work chair with a harness...